Songs about moving on are essential when you are dealing with a breakup. The lyrics can actually empower you and help you to feel better about your situation. Some of the greatest artists of our time have written songs about this topic. A few will be mentioned below.
- "I'm Gonna Be Strong" by Cyndi Lauper Years after the days of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," Brooklyn native Cyndi Lauper covered a strong song (originally written in 1963 by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil), declaring how she was "gonna be strong" after a rough breakup. It is a beautiful track featured on her compilation album "12 Deadly Cyns… And Then Some."
- "You'll See" by Madonna What better example of a moving on song? The video was even a sequel to Madonna's hit "Take a Bow." The song speaks for itself as the superstar tells the guy who broke her heart that he'll see; she doesn't need anyone at all and knows she will survive.
- "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor Usually the first song people think of when considering songs about moving on, Gloria Gaynor sang this catchy number in the 1970s. It's a positive song that let's women know they can survive, even after their relationship is over.
- "No More Tears (Enough is Enough)" by Donna Summer Although not a post-breakup song, Donna Summer crooned about moving on in this tune, regardless of the line "There's nothing left for us here." This song is a positive message to women who might be afraid to get out of a bad relationship.
- "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" by Madonna The Material Mom makes the list again with another powerful song. Although it is about being abandoned by the man she loved, it's still an upbeat track with a strong message.
- "Goodbye to You" by Scandal This was one of the biggest hits by Scandal. Patti Smythe crooned about moving on from a relationship gone bad in spite of the fact that she still remembers the good times.
- "It's Not Love" by Dokken Heavy metal band Dokken rocked out in this song as vocalist Don Dokken declared that "it's not love anymore" to an unknown girl. It's a very powerful and melodic moving on song.
- "Over Now" by Alice in Chains Another metal song, this track had Jerry Cantrell singing about moving on, lamenting somewhat after a bad breakup but staying strong. There is also an unplugged version of the song from the band's performance on the MTV show back in 1996.
- "Goodbye to Romance" by Ozzy Osbourne This song appeared on Ozzy's solo debut album "Blizzard of Oz." As the third heavy metal title on the list, it was more about the singer leaving Black Sabbath than a woman, but it is nonetheless a beautiful song about moving on.
- "Sweet Sacrifice" by Evanescence This is the ultimate moving on song. Amy Lee crooned to her ex-boyfriend not to cry to her, reminding him that if he loved her, he would be with her.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.