Songs That Make You Cry
Songs that make you cry usually have lyrics on a somber topic you can personally relate too. The topics covered in these songs range from death to teenage pregnancy. The lyrics and musical tones are somber, which creates a sorrowful song you can easily get emotionally lost in while listening too. All of these songs that can make you cry are critically respected, and commercially successful.
- "The Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. This one was written by Jeff Silbar and Larry Henley. It has been performed by many artists including Bette Midler. The song was featured on the 1988 "Beaches Soundtrack," which was a movie Bette Midler starred in alongside Barbara Hershey. It is an emotional song that played over the scene in "Beaches" after Barbara Hershey's character died. It went on to become a Billboard number one song, and in 1990 won two Grammy Awards.
- "Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton. Released in 1992, "Tears In Heaven" was written about Eric Clapton's 4-year-old-son who passed away. The lyrics are emotional, and universal for anyone who has lost someone they love. Clapton already wrote the first verse before teaming up with Will Jennings to complete the song. It is a slow, acoustic guitar driven song, and you can hear the true emotion of sadness shine through Clapton's voice. In 1993 this song that makes you cry won three Grammy Awards.
- "Breathe Me" by Sia. This song was released on the 2004 album "Colour the Small One." Sia wrote the lyrics about feeling anxious and overwhelmed, which is something everyone can relate too. Musically, the piano is the overpowering instrument used. There is also an orchestra of string instruments that picks up towards the end, which adds to the somber tone. During the emotional, and cry-worthy season finale of the television show "Six Feet Under," this song played over the final scene.
- "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. In 2002 country superstar Johnny Cash covered rock band Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt." Cash's soft-sung, and emotionally charged cover is a song that can make you cry, especially while watching the music video. The lyrical content is about pain and regret, including using drugs to kill emotional pain. The music video was shot when Cash was 71-years-old and not in good health. There was no make-up used on him, and it was a reflection of Cash's life. The music video won a Best Short Form Video Grammy. Rick Ruban produced the song, it was released on Johnny Cash's 2002 album "American IV, The Man Comes Around.”
- "Brenda's Got a Baby" by Tupac. When thinking about songs that could make you cry, a rap artist may not jump to mind, but Tupac's "Brenda's Got A Baby" is a heartbreaking story told through intelligent rhymes. The late American rap artist Tupac Shakur wrote the lyrics for “Brenda’s Got A Baby” based on a rue story. The lyrics revolve around the tale of a young girl growing up in the ghetto who gets pregnant at 12-years-old. She hides the pregnancy from her family, and has the baby alone on a bathroom floor before throwing him into the trash. Her mother is more concerned about collecting a welfare check for Brenda, than for Brenda's own well-being. The slow beat, and great story-telling lyrics by Tupac result in this emotional song that can make you cry.