Have you made your South Beach Diet shopping list? Find out what foods can be included in this weight loss diet plan, created by cardiologist Arthur Agatston. The South Beach Diet focuses on low-sugar carbohydrates, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Use the following food ideas for developing your shopping list.
- All types of shellfish. Shrimp, scallops, oysters—you name it. These nutrient-rich, lean sources of protein can be enjoyed while on the South Beach Diet.
- Add chicken to the shopping list. Chicken breast, turkey bacon, any lean serving of poultry will do. It is important however to choose skinless chicken and turkey.
- Nutritional oils. Cook and make salad dressings and sauces with healthy nutritional oils. They are rich in beneficial omega oils and will act to lower LDL cholesterol levels. The good oils are olive, avocado, hemp seed, walnut, and canola oil, preferably in their more natural form.
- Add different kinds of nuts for snacking. Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, and peanuts are great snack food items for your South Beach Diet shopping list, rather than carbohydrate and sugar rich chips, crackers, and fruit.
- Put green veggies on the list. The South Beach Diet is no excuse not to eat your green leafy vegetables. Low in carbohydrates and high in nutrition, spinach, chard, broccoli, and other dark vegetables are an essential part of any healthy diet.
- Low-fat cheeses are acceptable. For calcium and protein, be sure to add low and non-fat cheese to your shopping list. Go for the cottage cheese, a little feta, and sliced cheddar.
- Tofu. If you are going into this diet without being a tofu eater, it is time to start breaking out the bean curd. Tofu is a great source of calcium, iron, and other minerals. It is also a low-fat, no-sugar protein.
- The South Beach Diet includes non-starchy vegetables. Veggies such as eggplant, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, and asparagus should be a regular part of your grocery list.
- No South Beach Diet shopping list is complete without some sweets! Chocolate powder, cocoa powder, and hard candy can be enjoyed. Just make sure to keep your sweet tooth satisfied with small doses.