Speed Dating Rules
Need to know some speed dating rules? Speed dating is a recent phenomenon where groups of singles gather and attempt to find a potential romantic match by meeting one another for short time periods in a controlled setting. If you think about it, this is not too different from the way most parties work, minus obvious danger signs like drunkenly table dancing, pre-witching hour makeout sessions and other typical indicators that someone may not be right for you. Established by Rabbi Yaacov Deyo in Beverly Hills around 1998, speed dating quickly grew in popularity due to its effectiveness, blossoming into online venues and chat rooms. For those who have never tried it, here are some simple speed dating rules that will make you an expert at having a great time with your experience.
Preparation and General Strategies
- Decide what you want to ask before hand. By planning some quick questions, you can throw out some random ideas that generate interesting conversation. This is the best way to get an accurate impression in limited time.
- Look nice, or at least, confident in your appearance. Speed dating is all about quick first impressions, so don't dress like an attention-hungry, showboating jerk unless you've got a top hat to go along with the monocle. Wear something comfy that highlights your best features without making you feel constricted or awkward. If you're online, this can be easily accomplished with real time video editing.
- Bring a friend. Real-world speed dating can be unnerving for first timers. If you go with a friend, you can compare and contrast notes afterwards, making highly inappropriate comments about the physical attributes of those partners you met to foster camaraderie.
- Don't get too hung up on one person. Listen to each candidate attentively, if not equally, and be friendly to all. This is the best way to find true love, meaning get as many numbers as possible and have your pick of the lot. Even though Number 6 may have been the most gorgeous person you've ever seen, Number 7 is also a person with feelings, and she deserves your undivided attention. You'll probably get a second go-around anyway, but if you can't forget those beautiful, soul-searching eyes, it's time to move on to...
- If you've set your heart on a particular date, remember, you have only known this person for a few minutes. Keep your pants on and try not to embarrass yourself too much, because you've still got a long way to go. If you both like each other, your speed dating service will let you know how to get in touch, so just take it easy and draw them in with your extremely relaxed attitude.
- Never plan your responses. Be open and spontaneous when people ask you questions, and you'll create a better impression, but you don't have to reveal any trade secrets. You can always generate an air of mystery by simply saying "No comment," or "Pass," both humorous responses that will help you raise interest while maintaining your firm hold on the family treasure map. Good luck!