Though the acceptable daily intake for sucralose is set at 5 mg per kilogram of body weight, you may want to think twice about taking it after reading about these possible Splenda side effects.Though it’s touted as a healthy and calorie-free sweetener, this artificial sweetener, labeled by biochemist and physician Dr. James Bowen as a deadly “chemically manipulated molecule of sugar,” may cause some mildly irritating to serious side effects. The following is a list of the most common ones, garnered from individual users and professionals in the medical and science community.
- Splenda usage may cause migraines. Chronic and severe migraines are the most common complaint among users of artificial sweeteners and Splenda is no exception. Many have reported that the migraines only intensify with prolonged sucralose use.
- Splenda may cause palpitations and chest pain. A racing or irregularly beating heart, especially when accompanied with shortness of breath and hot flashes, have been noted by many users of the sweetener.
- Splenda may cause a multitude of dermal problems. Typical effects of the skin observed include rashes, hives, inflammation and general swelling.
- Splenda usage may cause gastrointestinal problems. Typical effects associated with use include bloating, nausea, diarrhea, excess gas and abdominal cramping. A study done by Duke University concluded that Splenda altered the delicate intestinal flora, which is necessary for digestion, assimilation and general health.
- Splenda usage may cause affect the proper absorption of medications. Due to the sweeteners interference with intestinal flora as indicated by the 2008 Duke University study, you may not receive the full benefit of medications while ingesting Splenda. Talk with your health care professional for any concerns or questions.
- Splenda usage may cause psychological malaise. Depression, suicidal thoughts, mood swings, irrational behavior and loss of motor control are noted by many medical professionals and users of Splenda. Some doctors and scientists have even labeled the sweetener as a neurotoxin.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …