Squirrel recipes are an excellent and easy way to cook squirrel after a long day in the woods. Eating squirrel is a little bit taboo in some sophisticated circles. However, the meat is lean and tends to taste like chicken!
Bacon Wrapped Squirrel
You will need:
- Squirrel legs
- Garlic powder
- Minced onion
- Hickory smoked bacon
- Toothpick (optional)
- Soak. Its important to remember to soak the squirrel legs in beer for roughly two to three hours. After that, remove the squirrel legs.
- Taste. Sprinkle the squirrel legs with garlic powder, pepper, salt and minced onion to taste. This will vary from chef to chef, so each version of this recipe will be different.
- Wrap. Take the bacon and wrap each seasoned leg with a piece. If you have trouble securing the bacon to the leg, feel free use a toothpick.
- Grill. Using a grill, place the squirrel legs over the heat. The squirrel legs need to cook over medium heat until cooked all the way through. Be sure to enjoy this recipe with a delicious side of your liking.
You will need:
- 4 squirrels, quartered
- 3 tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Dry rub
- Hickory chips
- Barbacue sauce
- Boil. In a large pot, boil the squirrel in water seasoned with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for one hour or until tender.
- Soak. Soak the hickory chips in water. Light charcoal and let them get white hot. Place them to one side of your grill.
- Rub. Take the squirrel out of the water and pat it down to dry. Add your favorite dry rub to the squirrel and coat thoroughly.
- Wood chips. Add a handful of the already soaked wood chips to the coals.
- Grill. Place the squirrel on the grill across from the hot coals. Cover the squirrel meat and let it smoke for one hour. Every half hour, add a handful of wood chips to the coals.
- Barbacue sauce. Add the last bit of wood chips and baste the squirrel in your favorite barbecue sauce. Let the squirrel smoke for another half hour and baste it three to four times.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...