Stand Up Paddle Boarding Tips For Beginners
Stand up paddle boarding is a great way to get some exercise, and with these stand up paddle boarding tips for beginners you can soon be on your way to getting in shape. It doesn't take much to get started, just a board and a paddle, but you should also make sure you find some information on the techniques. Always keep safety in mind when you are paddle boarding both for you and for other boarders.
- Start on flat water. Before you head out into the ocean on your paddle board, you want to make sure you can paddle, turn and stop on flat water. Once you have good control over your paddle and your board, you can venture out into the waves.
- Wear a leash. This is an important safety tip for stand up paddle boarding. Paddle boards are a lot bigger and heavier than regular surf boards and if you lose it it could seriously hurt someone else on the water.
- Wear the right clothing for the conditions. When you first start paddle boarding you will fall into the water. Make sure you are wearing a wetsuit if the water is cold. You should also be aware that you will be spending a lot of time in the sun so wear sunscreen.
- Paddle up wind first. This is an important safety tip for paddle boarding. You always want to go upwind first so if you need to you can rest and still make it back to where you started from.
- Keep the paddle in the water as much a possible. Don't let go of your paddle when you are paddle boarding. You can use it not only for paddling, but also for balance.