Strange Facts About Life
Looking for some strange facts about life? Look no further, because we've got an interesting list of strange life facts for you right here. There are many aspects of life that are indeed strange, and humans are perhaps one of the strangest creatures.
- The human brain is made up of 80 percent water. It's hard to believe that a vital part of the body that holds so much important information is made up of mostly water, but it's true. This is one of the reasons why it is so important to stay hydrated and to drink plenty of water, as the brain cannot function at optimal performance when your body is starving for water.
- Dolphins and humans are the only species that have sexual intercourse for pleasure. Sure, many other species in the world also engage in sex, but most of these species are not doing it because it feels good. They do it solely for the sake of reproducing. Humans also have sex in order to reproduce, but they also do it because it is pleasurable.
- On average, right handed people live about nine years longer than left handed people. There have been several scientific findings to back up the theory that right handed individuals live longer than left handed individuals. This does not mean that you will not live a long and healthy life if you are left handed, however. Plenty of left handed people end up living very long lives, as well.
- Fingernails grow almost four times as fast as toenails. This is why it seems like we have to trim our fingernails so much more than we do our toenails. Because the fingernails are more exposed to the open, they tend to grow at a faster rate. That is, unless you never wear shoes or socks.
- Stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve razor blades. Not that humans should be swallowing razors, but the acid in the stomach would quickly dissolve the metal of the blades if exposed. That being said, no human or animal should ever attempt to swallow a razor blade, as it could easily puncture internal organs and cause death.
- About 75 percent of human waste is made up of water. This may seem strange as waste seems to be solid, but it's mostly water. Those who tend to have drier stools, however, may differ. Constipation is often caused by not enough water in the stools.
- A cremated human's ashes weigh approximately nine to ten pounds. It is odd to think that a 170 pound adult can be reduced to just nine pounds of ashes after death, but the human body is made up of mostly water. After the body has been cremated, the water and tissues are destroyed, which leaves very little left of the body.
- Human tongue prints are unique. Much like fingerprints, the print a tongue leaves behind is entirely unique and no one will have a print like your own. In fact, if tongue prints were more commonly left behind, it may be even easier to catch a criminal. Hardly anyone ever leaves a tongue print behind, however.