Experiencing foot pain and need to know stress fracture foot symptoms? Stress fractures are small hairline cracks in one or more of the bones (metatarsals) in your foot. Unfortunately, stress fractures are pretty common among runners and athletes, and can cause a great deal of pain over a relatively long period of time. If you believe you have a stress fracture you should be aware of, and looking for, the following symptoms.
- Swelling. Swelling is one of the most common symptoms of a stress fracture. If your foot appears to be swollen, puffy or bruised, and the swelling does appear to go down with ice and rest, you could have a stress fracture. If your swelling does not go down with ice and rest you should see your MD right away, as you may have broken a bone in your foot.
- Tenderness. Before a stress fracture causes intense pain, most individual’s notice increased tenderness. If your foot is tender to the touch, or putting on a sneaker is uncomfortable, you may have a stress fracture.
- Increased pain while walking. Another common symptom of a stress fracture, is pain. The pain can range from a dull and throbbing annoyance, to a sharp and shooting pain that reaches across your whole foot. If you feel increased pain while walking or putting weight on your foot, you should be seen by a doctor.
- Quicker onset of pain. Commonly athletes will notice that the pain in their foot comes back quicker, and gets worse with each subsequent workout. If you notice that you feel pain sooner, or the pain worsens with each workout, you should stop your workout and consult with your physician, as you probably have a stress fracture.
- Constant pain while the foot isn’t being used. Continued pain, when you’re not walking or putting weight on the foot is an indicator that your stress fracture is worsening. To prevent further damage, and a longer healing time, see you doctor immediately. A CT scan or MRI will be taken to determine if how bad the fracture is and how long you’ll need to rest for it to heal.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.