Have you ever wondered which are the strongest dogs in the world? Whether you're looking for pure pulling power, pound-for-pound or sheer bite force, there's a long list of notable dogs that have been bred specifically for their strength and raw power. Join us as we take a look at some of the world's strongest dogs. Is your pet on this list?
- Newfoundland This giant black teddy bear of a dog is known for his massive size and sheer strength. Originally employed to save drowning victims and carry messages from ship to ship, these are not only one of the strongest breeds of dog in the world, but also one of the strongest swimmers.
- American Pitbull Terrier Low slung and possessing a massive chest and jaw, it doesn't take a genius to realize what the original purpose of this dog was: They are built for fighting. From the lean hips to the barrel chest and massive jaw, every ounce of them is business. Bred specifically for fighting, they are still used in illegal dog fights today. Pound for pound, they are one of the strongest dogs in the world when it comes to bite power.
- St. Bernard While not one of the fastest, the St. Bernard qualifies as one of the strongest breeds of dog in the world. Used as Alpine scouts, it's believed that these massive dogs are descended from the aggressive Alpine mastiff. While loving to their families, some individuals of this breed are known to bouts of unexplained rage.
- Presa Canario One of the strongest dogs in the world, the Presa Canario was first bred in the canary Islands using a mixture of mastiff and bulldog blood. Used for war, driving cattle, gladiator sports and pit fighting, they are massive fighters who are known for their ability to fight.
- Bullmastiff The bullmastiff was another German-bred breed of dog used for the purpose of bringing down prisoners and holding them. While they don't possess the strong bites of other breeds, they use their bodies like battering rams and are believed to be one of the strongest breeds of dog in the guarding world.
- Mastiff According to testing done by National Geographic, attack dogs such as the rottweiler and German shepherd average between 320 to 230 pounds of pressure, per inch, when they bite. The mastiff, however, earns his place on our list of strongest dogs in the world with a stunning bite force of more than 550 pounds of force.
- Alaskan Malamute Much like huskies, the Alaskan malamute is a cold-weather working dog. However, where the husky is a more compact breed, Malamutes are not only known for being one of the strongest dogs in the world, but also the largest of the spitz breeds.
- Rottweiler These popular German-bred protection dogs were bred specifically as protection and guard animals. Known as one of the strongest dogs in the world, as well as one of the most unpredictable, they are often considered a dangerous breed, especially in the hands of unexperienced dog owners.
- Bernese Mountain Dog The Bernese mountain dog is said to be the strongest of the sled-pulling breeds. A cold-weather dog, they are massively built and easy qualify as one of the strongest dogs in the world.
- Argentine Dogo Much like the Presa Canario, this massive breed of dog was bred to lead a life of danger. Commonly used for the purpose of hunting wild pigs, they are fast, deadly and easily one of the strongest dog breeds in the world.
No one is entirely sure when dogs assumed the role of man’s best friend, but if we’re to believe Lassie, Bol ...
You’ve already treated your dog to electronic tracking chip and a snazzy dog collar, but these tech dog devices would ma ...
It’s not that you want a dog to pick up chicks. It’s just a sweet side benefit of having a four-legged friend. But befor ...