Summer is the time for celebrating outside with friends, and you can celebrate in style with these summer appetizers. Food on a warm summer day should be light and cool and you can't go wrong with these. It is also a good idea to serve appetizers that don't take a lot of time so you can join your guests and enjoy yourself.
- 1/2 french baguette cut diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush both sides of bread with oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Toast in oven until golden flipping to get both sides.
- Divide the basil leaves and place on crostini. Fold prosciutto and place on crostini. Drizzle each with oil and season with pepper.
Summer Ginger Fruit Dip Appetizer
- 3 oz. package of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped candied ginger
- /2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Combine pudding mix, milk and orange juice concentrate and mix well. Stir in sour cream and both gingers.
- In another bowl, combine cream with powdered sugar, beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into ginger mixture, and pour into serving bowl.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- Serve with fresh fruit.
Pork and Peach Skewers for Summer Parties
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp grated ginger root
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 firm ripe peaches, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, pepper and ginger root.
- Add pork to bowl, mix to coat pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat grill and alternate pork and peaches on a skewer. Grill over medium coals for 7-9 minutes, turning frequently.