Summer Rolls Recipe
Here is a great summer rolls recipe that is very versatile. Summer rolls make the home smell fabulous and inviting. These summer rolls recipes are easy to make once you have the basic summer rolls dough ready.
Basic summer rolls dough recipe
- 6 cups flour, sifted
- 2 packages instant yeast (.25 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Warm water
- Place the flour on a large working surface. Make a hole in the middle and add the yeast, sugar, salt, yogurt, oil and egg.
- With a fork, start mixing the inside ingredients with the flour. When the mixture is too thick, use your hands.
- Add enough warm water (not to exceed 105 degrees) to make a pliable dough. Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Roll the dough into a ball and spray some oil around the ball. Place a large bowl on top of the dough.
- Let the dough rise double in size. Punch down the dough and let rise again.
- When the dough has raised the second time, roll into a large rectangle piece that is around 1/4 inch thick. Spread the desired fillings on the dough and then roll up and seal the ends.
- Slice the summer rolls into thick slices and place on an oiled baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until brown and done.
Note: If using dry yeast, you must dissolve the yeast in warm water before using in this recipe.
Variations of Summer Rolls Recipe:
- Cinnamon Rolls. Brush on melted butter to the dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. On top of the sliced rolls spread more melted butter, cinnamon and sugar.
- Walnuts and Cinnamon. Do the same variation above, but add in some chopped walnuts.
- Pecan Topped Cinnamon Rolls. Follow the cinnamon roll mixture. Use a muffin pan and butter the muffin tins well. Add in 1 pat of butter in the bottom along with some chopped pecans. Place one roll in each muffin tin. Do not put any cinnamon and sugar on top of the rolls. When the rolls are baked, invert the muffin tin on a plate and let the pecans drizzle on top of the roll.
Icing for summer rolls
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Make sure to sift the sugar well. Add in the butter, milk and vanilla to the sugar and beat well.
- Make the icing thin. If needed add more milk to get the right spreading consistency.
- Drizzle the top of the cool summer rolls with this glaze. The glaze may be spread also.
Note: Not for the pecan rolls.