Finding healthy snacks to add to your daily diet is easy when you discover everything about sunflower seeds nutrition. Sunflower seeds are an important nutritional addition to any diet because they are a great source of essential vitamins and mineral that includes vitamin E, vitamin B1, magnesium, and more.
- Vitamins E in sunflower seeds. A quarter cup serving of sunflower seeds each day will provide over 90 percent of the daily requirement for vitamin E. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that works to protect the body from toxins and carcinogens that lead to free radical damage. Vitamin E neutralizes free radicals that damage things like cell membranes and brain cells.
- Vitamin B1 in sunflower seeds. A quarter cup serving of sunflower seeds each day provides over 50 percent of the daily requirement for vitamin B1 (thiamine). B vitamins are water soluble which means the body does not store them making ingested sources necessary and important. A daily dose of B vitamins help the body to convert carbohydrates into glucose to give the body fuel. B vitamins are necessary for healthy skin, liver, hair and eyes as well as proper nervous system function and optimal brain function.
- Lower Cholesterol with sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds contain phytosterols which are chemical structures found in plant life, that are similar to cholesterol. Phytosterols are believed to reduce cholesterol levels, enhance the immune response, and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- Magnesium in sunflower seeds. Magnesium is a wonderful addition to a healthy diet because of its ability to reduce the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke, and help prevent migraine headaches. Magnesium is essential in building healthy bones, regulating nerves, and promoting muscle health.
- Prevent disease with sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds contain selenium that protects cells from free radical damage, lowers the risk of joint inflammation, and aids the thyroid gland in producing thyroid hormone.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.