Super Bowl 2011 Commercials
The Super Bowl 2011 commercials improved drastically on the commercials used the prior year. 2011 saw the return of biting humor with commercials aimed at all age groups. Little kids could find humor in the Darth Vader and Justin Bieber advertisements while older fans enjoyed the Bud Light commercials. There were the disappointing efforts, such as the new GoDaddy ad, but overall, it was a fun year for the Super Bowl.
- “Volkswagen: Darth Vader Kid” – This was the Super Bowl 2011 commercial that went viral the quickest. It was one of the cutest commercials of the Super Bowl that year as a small child dressed up like Darth Vader tried to use the Force throughout the house. Once his dad gets home, he rushes out to the car. As he points, the car starts and he jumps because he believed it worked. It was the remote ignition switch. This was a funny commercial and the best of the year.
- “GoDaddy.co: Joan Rivers” – This was by far the most disappointing Super Bowl 2011 commercial. In the weeks leading up to the football game and throughout the game, we were teased to a revelation of a new GoDaddy Girl. In the past, such hot female celebrities as WWE Diva Candice Michelle and NASCAR driver Danica Patrick sexed up the halftime shows for the web server company. The payoff to this year’s lead-in was Joan Rivers. It was not funny and hugely disappointing for the audience it was intended.
- “Best Buy: Ozzy Osbourne and Justin Bieber” – He has captured the hearts of teenage girls all over the world and now Justin Bieber is trying to win over the guys. Before he took part in the NBA celebrity all-star game, he appeared in a Super Bowl 2011 commercial with none other than Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzy couldn’t quite get the hang of the new telephone Best Buy wanted promoted, so they brought in Bieber to do it. Ozzy asked what a Bieber was and then, from behind him, Justin Bieber in a fake beard walked up and said "I don’t know, but it looks like a girl." And, little by little Bieber becomes less annoying.
- “Snickers: Rosanne Barr” – 2010 saw Snickers present Betty White to the world in their commercial. In the Super Bowl 2011 commercial, Snickers called on Richard Lewis and Rosanne Barr. As Lewis complained about working, his co-workers finally made him eat a Snickers. Then the commercial switched to Rosanne complaining about her feet hurting. A giant log then smashes into her, knocking her down where she continues to complain. It was nowhere near as funny as the Betty White commercial but it will do.
- “Bud Light: Product Placement” – During a medieval sword fight scene in a movie, a cleaning bottle is seen on a table. The director is angry and wants to know why it is there. When he learns that product placement means they get free stuff if they show a product in a scene, they add numerous Bud Light products. Through the scene, we see a pinball machine, neon signs, bottled beers and finally, a Bud Light truck drives into the scene. The commercial ends with a knight wearing Bud Light armor.