It's time to narrow down the best surfing quotes ever. Surfing is so much more than an outdoor activity. It is a connection to nature, an outlet for the stress of everyday life, and union with something bigger than ourselves. Thousands of individuals have left us with quotes describing just this. Here are ten of the best quotes on surfing."Sliding a wave removes our brains out of the ordinary and slips us into the extra ordinary of being there now. No more worries about mortgages or strife of being poor or rich. When you enter the domain of an ocean cylinder, that moment, those split seconds belong to the Zen part of just being. Period." – Bill Hamilton – Spoken from the mouth of the famous surfer and board shaper of the 1960s, these words really speak to the power of surfing.
- “Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you've done it.” – Paul Strauch – Paul Strauch is a legendary surfer from Hawaii. He made his mark in surfing in the 1960s and has left the world with some essential surfing philosophy like in this famous quote.
- “Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life.” – Matt Warshaw – Matt Warshaw is an accomplished surfer and writer. This quote comes from his book “Mavericks: The Story of Big-Wave Surfing”.
- "I like to tell people who never surf that surfing is like taking a shower, except it lasts a life time. We are the lucky few who get to play in Gods soup and we are better humans because of it." – Bill Hamilton – Another great surfing quote spoken like only Bill Hamilton could. This phrase really expresses the immense joy that people get from surfing.
- "It's like the mafia. Once you're in – you’re in. There's no getting out"– Kelly Slater – Considered by many to be today’s greatest surfer, this quote comes from Kelly Slater. Kelly really explains here how grasping surfing can be.
- "The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun." – Unknown– Although this quote comes from unknown origins, it could be considered among the most wise. It expresses what surfing really means for the die hard. It is not about competition but rather the experience.
- "For those searching for something more than just the norm. We lay it all down, including what others call sanity, for just a few moments on waves larger than life. We do this because we know there is still something greater than all of us. Something that inspires us spiritually. We start going downhill, when we stop taking risks." – Laird Hamilton – This surfing quote comes from the adopted son of Bill Hamilton. Laird specifically talks about big wave surfing with these powerful words.
- “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn – This quote comes from a leading researcher in stress relief. He uses surfing as an analogy for life.
- “I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.” – Captain James Cook – Cook was a late 18th century British explorer. With his explorations of the Hawaiian Islands he gave, for most of the world, a first description of surfing.
- "Surfing equates to living in the very moment of 'now'. When you ride a wave you leave behind all things important and unimportant, the purity of the moment is upon you." – Bill Hamilton – One last surfing quote from the great Bill Hamilton. Hamilton just knows how to put the power of surfing into words.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.