Looking for information on the SUVs with best gas mileage? Years ago, when SUVs were first becoming popular, you could expect to only get twenty miles or less on the highway. These days, you're going to get better gas mileage than that in the city. All of the SUVs with the best gas mileage listed below are 2011 models and the included gas mileage estimates are from the Environmental Protection Agency Fuel Economy Guide.
- Mitsubishi Outlander. The 2WD Mitsubishi Outlander is estimated to get 25 miles per gallon in the city and 31 on the highway, making it the SUV with the best gas mileage. The Outlander carries a price tag of anywhere between $21,995 and $27,795. To get the aforementioned gas mileage, you'll have to go with the 168-horsepower, 2.4-liter I-4 engine.
- Chevrolet HHR. Some people may not consider the HHR to be an SUV, but it is. The 2WD Chevy HHR gets 22 miles per gallon in the city and 32 miles per gallon on the highway. The great thing about the HHR is the fact that it has such a low starting MSRP of $18,720. This SUV with the best gas mileage is available with both an automatic and manual transmission, both of which come with overdrive.
- Chevrolet Equinox. You may be surprised to see another Chevrolet on this list of SUVs with the best gas mileage. The Equinox is estimated to get 22 miles per gallon in the city and 32 miles per gallon on the highway, just like the HHR. You can expect to pay anywhere between $22,745 and $30,070 for a brand new 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. If you are looking to get the best gas mileage with this vehicle, go with the 182-horsepower, 2.4-liter I4 engine.
- GMC Terrain. The 2WD GMC Terrain is actually a rather large SUV, but it still gets 22 miles in the city and 32 miles on the highway. The Terrain has a higher price tag than some of the other SUVs mentioned in this article ($24,250 to $31,400), but GMC gives you a lot of standard features, such as automatic headlights, satellite radio and parking sensors.
- Hyundai Tucson. The 2WD Hyundai Tucson is the last vehicle to make this list of SUVs with the best gas mileage. The Tucson gets 23 miles per gallon in the city and 31 miles per gallon on the highway. Hyundai is known for producing high quality vehicles at a low price, and the Tucson is no exception. You can expect to pay anywhere between $18,895 to $26,345 for this SUV, and you'll get Hyundai's five year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …