Here is a sweet potato pie recipe, soul food style. African-American cooking, which is also called “soul food,” is based on fresh country vegetables frequently combined with different spices. This soul food sweet potato pie has that spicy touch that cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and mace provide together. You can enhance this sweet potato pie by adding ½ cup golden raisins or ½ cup pecans to the filling before baking. The wonderful fragrance from this sweet potato pie will surely give you the chance to enjoy it along with friends and bring those old soul food memories back. Let’s get started!
- 2 cups cooked sweet potatoes, peeled
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. ground mace
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 9-inch pie shell (see how to make it below)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Blend all the ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake about 40 minutes.
Sweet potato pie shell recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp. cold margarine cut into small pieces
- Mix the flour and the salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the pieces of margarine, using your fingertips to rub them in until the flour looks like breadcrumbs.
- Shape this mixture into a ball and wrap it in a plastic bag.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for about one hour.
- When the dough is firm, place it on a lightly floured flat surface and rollout to about a 1/8-inch thick large circle.
- Fit the dough to a baking pan, adding an extra 1-inch to make a thick stand-up edge.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.