Interested in learning about swim exercise for weight loss? You’re in the right place. Whether you’re a master swimmer or swimming newbie, keep reading below to learn a swim workout plan that will help you shed those extra pounds.
Items you’ll need:
- A swimsuit
- A bottle of water
- A swim safe watch with a second hand or timer
- Warm up. Before you begin your workout you need to warm up. Swim freestyle for 30 to 45 seconds then rest for 30 seconds. Repeat this circuit ten times, then rest on the side of the pool until your heart rate returns to normal. The maximum heart rate that most physicians consider safe is “220” minus the swimmer’s age. If you heart rate goes about that number, rest until it comes back down. Do some basic stretches before beginning your weight loss workout. Make sure you’re well hydrated and continue to drink throughout the workout, even if you’re not feeling thirsty.
- Time your swimming. Using your swim watch to time yourself, swim breaststroke for two minutes without rest. Rest for one minute, then swim freestyle for two minutes. Rest for one minute then swim butterfly for one minute. Rest for three minutes at the end of the series. If at any point you’re too tired to continue, switch to backstroke for the reminder of the two-minute stroke interval. Beginners should complete this circuit of timed exercises two times, for a total of twelve minutes swimming and ten minutes of rest. Intermediate swimmers can complete the circuit four times for a total of 24 minutes swimming and twenty minutes of rest. As your endurance increases you should increase the amount of time you swim and decrease the amount of time you rest. To lose weight you’ll want to keep your ratio of swimming to rest high.
- Increase your total swimming time. The more aerobic exercise you complete, the quicker you’ll lose weight. Slowly increase the amount of time you swim each week by no more than ten percent to avoid injury and over taxing your body. If you swim for twenty minutes this week you shouldn’t swim for more than 22 minutes next week. Slowly build up your swim time so you’re swimming a total of 30 to 40 minutes a day.
- Cool Down. Swim leisurely for two to four minutes as a cool down. Backstroke is an ideal stroke for cooling down because it’s one of the easiest strokes. Focus on your breathing and bringing your heart rate back to normal. Make sure to stretch and drink more water after you complete your workout. You might not feel thirsty, but your body does sweat, and you can become dehydrated if you don’t drink enough water after your swim.
Do the above swim workout if you’re interested in swim exercise for weight loss. Swimming is an excellent way to burn calories and lose weight without putting stress on your knees and bones. Since each person’s fitness level varies, alter the above workout to make a routine that challenges you and helps you loss weight.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!