Is Swimming Good Exercise?
The question "Is swimming good exercise?" must underscore some key elements in order to be answered. What makes swimming good for one person might be viewed as non-essential to another. Athletes generally consider swimming good exercise, but what does it really work out? Why is swimming good for certain athletes but not really for some? Find out as we explore the art of maneuvering through water even more.
- Swimming burns roughly three calories a mile per pound. In other words, a 150 pound swimmer will burn 450 calories by swimming a mile. If you can hack it, and swim a mile in twenty minutes, that's a 1350 calorie-burning exercise.
- Swimming encompasses more than a workout. Part of what makes swimming good for your body is its physical as well as psychological benefits. Swimmers work out while simultaneously doing something they love (i.e. it's fun). Swimming also is a great stress relief for a long day at work.
- As a resistance workout, swimming is very effective. Burning muscles something swimmers do well. Why is swimming good for athletes? It's a workout that gives roughly 12% to 14% more resistance than exercise through air.
- It's incremental. The reason why some people consider swimming good exercise is that it works with your muscle to produce results over time. You work at your own pace, not some crazy drill instructor yelling at you through the TV.
- The best of both workouts. The two combined at the same time, cardiovascular exercise and muscle breakdown, makes for a very efficient workout. Swimming is a good exercise that takes the best of both worlds and gives you an excellent feeling afterwards.
- It doesn't hurt your joints. As many people know, prominent cardio workouts like jogging actually wear down your knees at a great rate over time. Swimming works with your body to produce great outcomes for your muscles, your heart, and you (particularly).
As a more-than-general rule of thumb: most coaches, athletes, and people consider swimming good exercise. What makes swimming good for one person is different for another person of a different goal. That being said, swimming incorporates a lot of exercises into one effort and ends up making one of the best workouts of all time.