Table for One: How to Plan a Vacation for One
Here are some tips for how to plan a vacation for one. Over the years it has become a taboo subject to travel alone, but it is making a comeback. These tips will help you plan out your vacation for one.
- Take Your Time When planning a vacation for one, take your time in choosing your location. When traveling alone the location is entirely up to you so pick the one of your dreams.
- Weigh Your Choice With Your Safety The obvious downside to a vacation for one is that you are alone and even if you're a big dude, that is a serious safety issue in many places. Carefully weigh where you want to go with the safety of the trip. There are plenty of places to travel safely alone, but be sure to check crime reports and statistics of the location before you go. Keep a phone or laptop with you at all times so you can contact home or local help if something happens.
- Money Money is an issue no matter how many people are in your party. A vacation for one can be just as expensive as a group trip. Look for deals wherever you are going.
- Hotel vs. Bed & Breakfast Hotels are expensive, even if they offer more amenities then a B & B. On the other hand, B & Bs are perfect for a vacation for one. They are much more personable and friendly, can offer a better insight into local attractions and there are usually other people traveling solo there. This offers a good chance to meet people without feeling like the awkward third wheel. Decide what you want and book a few months ahead of time. Staying at both a hotel and a B & B is also an option. You can alternate where you stay every couple of days. That's the best thing about planning a vacation for one; every choice is entirely up to you.
- Plane Join an air miles club if you love to fly. Not only will you get great deals, but it’s a good way to keep your travels organized and planned ahead of time. When traveling internationally, keep time changes in mind when calculating arrival times.
- Packing Don’t over-pack. On a vacation for one, there is only one of you! You are stuck carrying whatever you bring and any souvenirs you buy on the way back. And you will buy some so keep that in mind when you travel. Bring an extra bag or make sure you know how to ship the extra baggage home.
- Arrange Your Rides To And From Airport Before You Leave When on a vacation for one you need to make sure you have rides to and from the airport on both sides. You can always leave your car in long-term parking but keep in mind that if you have a long drive home from the airport that you might not be up to it coming home from your trip. Most foreign airports have information booths with local cab numbers.
- Renting A Car If you decide to rent a car when you are on a vacation for one, look carefully at your choices. If you are traveling internationally you will most likely be renting a foreign car so look even closer and the type and model and read the reviews of other users. Make sure it is a car you are comfortable driving. Keep in mind also that the driving laws will be different too. Make sure you are comfortable driving in a foreign country before you rent a car.
- Tell People Where You Are Going It might seem like an afterthought, but when you are on a vacation for one it is important to make sure someone knows where you are going to be each day. Plan with a family member or friend to have regular contact, via phone or email, and or inform the front desk where you are going and what time you plan to be back.
Posted on: Jan. 13, 2010