Table Tennis Serve Technique
Knowing the basic table tennis serve technique is necessary in order to play the game. Both players in table tennis must serve the ball multiple times throughout the game and if you have your technique down already, you are more likely to be successful. To learn the technique, you will need to put in some practice time.
- Understand the basics of the serve technique. When you serve the table tennis ball, you need to accomplish a certain action for it to be considered legal. You need to hit the ball with the paddle before it bounces. Then, the table tennis ball must bounce once on your side of the net and then bounce once on your opponent’s side.
- Practice the basics. Once you know the basic rules, it’s time to put them into action. Throw the ball up into the air slightly and hit it downward with your paddle. The ball should bounce once on your side of the net and once on the other side. Continue practicing until you’ve got this technique down.
- Start serving behind the line. This is a rule that needs to be executed during a real game. The line is formed by the table itself. You are obviously standing behind that line. However, when you serve the table tennis ball, the ball needs to also stay behind that line in order for the serve to count.
- Learn to throw the ball up when serving. Hold the table tennis ball in the palm of your hand. Keep your palm flat and practice throwing the ball upward about six inches and then catching it. This is the same motion you need to use when serving the ball. Make sure you get the ball up at least six inches or you will be penalized during an actual game.
- Put it all together. Once you can throw the ball up six inches while staying behind the line, add the serve to the mix. Throw the ball up and then hit it forward with your paddle. Remember, you want the ball to bounce once on your side of the table, go over the net and bounce once on your opponent’s side.