Taking A Break In A Relationship
Many adults come to the point in their lives when they consider taking a break in a relationship. This may just be a break in a dating relationship or separation from a spouse. Either way, it is important to know how to set it up and deal with the situation.
Things you'll need:
- A relationship you want to take a break from
- Making sure that taking a break in a relationship is the next step you want to take. Sometimes relationships can't survive a break. There are a lot of different reasons and many benefits to take a break, so give it some thought before making a decision.
- Talk to the other person about taking a break in a relationship. Communication is key when it comes to this type of situation. See if the other person is willing to step back and take a break or if they are just ready for things to be over. You both need to be on the same page when it comes to this decision.
- Decide on a length of time. Taking a break from a relationship can last for a few weeks or even several months. It just depends on the people involved and their specific situation. You may also want to take a break from the relationship until you have reached a different point in your life. Many people choose to take a break from a relationship until the other person seeks out help for issues.
- Determine the parameters. If the two of you are trying to work things out, you don't want to end your relationship because someone didn't understand the definition of the word “break.” Ask whether or not this means you can see other people? Does this mean that you can casually date? Or are you going to wait for each other? Don't let this be a point of miscommunication.
- Figure out how to determine whether or not the break did any good. You don't want to take a break from a relationship and then come back without seeing any changes. You need to know what needs to be different during the break, what is going to make it work when and if you get back together and whether or not after taking a break in a relationship you even want to get back together.
- While you are taking a break from a relationship, make sure that you spend some time thinking about what you want out of the situation. Don't just sit at home depressed. Get out there and try to have fun with friends and family to get your mind off things. It willl do you some good.
Taking a break in a relationship can be difficult, but it can also do you both a lot of good.