Tattoo Care Instructions
Tattoos are becoming more mainstream every single day and if you've recently gotten a new tattoo or are considering one, you may want to learn about tattoo care instructions. Tattoo care instructions are important because if you don't take proper care of a new tattoo you can not only ruin the ink, you may open yourself up to infection.
To properly care for your tattoo you will need:
- Clean towels
- Remove the bandage. After the allotted time, typically at least two hours, you can now carefully remove your bandage.
- Wash the tattoo. This should be done with a mild, non-perfume soap. Do everything carefully as to not disturb the healing process. This is done by carefully letting water trickle onto the tattoo and not spraying the water. Carefully clean the tattoo with clean hands and soap. Rinse slowly.
- Dry your tattoo. Use a paper towel that is clean and pat dry. If you choose to use a hand towel, be sure it is clean and sterile since sometimes these can have bacteria on them that is harmful to your fresh tattoo and can cause infection.
- Moisturize your tattoo. Allow your tattoo to fully dry and then apply a light film of lotion over the tattooed area. An antibiotic cream is also something you can use. Make sure you don't over do it, only a light film is recommended.
- Perform aftercare. Make sure you listen to the aftercare instructions such as not picking at the scab or peeling it off. This can damage your tattoo and cause infection.
- Stay away. Keep out of the sun, hot tubs, swimming pools and hot baths for at least two weeks.
- Use ice packs. If you notice any swelling you can use an ice pack on your tattoo until it subsides.
- Keep clothing away. Keep your clothing loose against your new tattoo so it doesn't rub against it.
If you follow these tattoo care instructions and listen to what the tattoo artist tells you, you should have a tattoo that heals nicely and looks great. Keep in mind that everyone's body is different so your own healing time may vary.