In a globally competitive marketplace, education is fundamentally important to success, as these teaching quotes from well-known entertainers, politicians, philosophers and others amply highlight. The common theme from these teaching quotes seems to be that the best teachers are the ones who challenge but also inspire. Consider the wisdom of teaching in this quotes:
- "I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework." Lily Tomlin spoke this quote while playing the character of "Edith Ann." Tomlin developed Edith Ann during her time on the sketch-comedy series "Laugh-in." Edith Ann stayed with Tomlin throughout her career.
- "The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth.' " In this teaching quote, journalist Dan Rather states what students sometimes don't realize: the best educators are probably the toughest. The broadcaster attended college at Sam Houston State University.
- "Modern cynics and skeptics… see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing." John F. Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States, highlights an irony about education in this teaching quote. JFK had some challenging teachers in his time, once pulling a 55 in Latin class.
- "When you teach your son, you teach your son's son." The wise text of the Talmud, which pulls together Jewish laws and traditions, includes this quote about teaching. Though the Talmud's heritage exists in the Jewish faith, many view it as a broad set of teachings designed to stimulate discussion and debate.
- "To teach is to learn twice." This teaching quote is from French philosopher Joseph Joubert, who wrote sparingly but powerfully. Joubert as a teenager joined a teaching order known as the Doctrinaires and in his work emphasized the significance of virtue.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …