Because sports can have such an emotional attachment for so many of us, the best team quotes can also elicit that same emotional response. We want our heroes to say something that truly shows why they play the sport and why we watch them play it. Some of the best team quotes are ones that have stood the test of time because these team quotes also demonstrate the best of us as a species. While that may seem a bit too poetic for your tastes, take a look at these quotes and tell us you don't feel a little moved.
- “I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.” - Mia Hamm spoke these words after spending quite a few years as a very successful professional soccer player. This is one of the best team quotes because it shows a willingness by Hamm to put herself second behind the team.
- “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” - If there's anyone who knows whether this quote is true or not, it would be the speaker, Michael Jordan. Jordan had plenty of talent all on his own, but it wasn't until the Bulls gave him a good supporting cast that Jordan actually started winning championships. This is one of the best team quotes for its simple honesty.
- “People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defences, or the problems of modern society.” - Vince Lombardi spoke this quote and it is as true today as it was when he spoke it. The best team quotes are ones that apply not only to the situation when the speaker utters it but can also apply to 30 years in the past or 30 years in the future. Lombardi was one of the best coaches in professional sports because of his ability to see three steps ahead and three steps behind of every move.
- “It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.” This is one of the best team quotes because of who spoke the words. Larry Bird is credited with this quote and like the Jordan quote, it stands out because Bird was an exceptional player who could almost carry a team all by himself. The Hall of Famer knew that he needed good surrounding players in order to take the final step and win championships.
- “A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team.” One of the best basketball coaches of all time, Pat Riley, was responsible for this quote. If there was ever someone who understood the importance of teamwork in basketball, it would be Riley. The man won championships because he understood the importance of a balanced team focusing on teamwork.