Techno bands first arrived in Detroit, Michigan in the late 1980s, having originated within European dance clubs. This music really is all about dancing and is growing increasingly popular today. Whenever it comes to techno music, you will want to check out the following bands:
- Depeche Mode is a techno band from Basildon, Essex that was formed in 1980. Original members included Dave Gahan (lead singer), Andrew Fletcher (keyboard) and Vince Clarke (keyboard and song writer). Clarke left the band in 1981 at which time Alan Wilder (keyboard and drums) joined up with this electronic dance music group. He then left the group in 1995 and Gahan, Gore and Fletcher have reunited and continue on as a trio. This group has created a total of 48 songs that have made their way into the UK singles charts; sold more than 100 million albums worldwide; and become the most successful band in techno history.
- Fatboy Slim (born Norman Quentin Leo Cook on July 31, 1963) started out as an English DJ, big beat musician and record producer before becoming a pioneer in electronic dance music. It is here that he gained his popularity in the 1990s. Throughout his very successful career he has performed with The Housemartins, Beats International, Freak Power and is now performing with the Brighton Port Authority.
- Aphex Twin (born Richard David James on August 18, 1971) is a techno musician who has been described as being very inventive and influential whenever it comes to electronic dance music. He is the co-founder of the Rephlex Records, which was created in 1991 with Grant Wilson-Claridge. Rephlex, Warp, R&S, Sire, Mighty Force, Rabbit City and Men Records have released his records. Other names by which Aphex Twin is known by include AFX, Blue Calx, Bradley Strider, Caustic Window, DJ Smojphace, GAK, Martin Tressider, Polygon Window, Power-Pill, Prichard D. Jams, Q-Chastic, Tahnaiya Russell, The Dice Man, Soit P.P., and, speculatively and The Tuss.
- New Order is yet another very popular techno group. They were formed in 1980 after the death of Ian Curtis. They are the remaining members of the Joy Division band, which includes by Bernard Sumner (vocals, guitars, synthesizers), Peter Hook (bass, backing vocals, electronic drums) and Stephen Morris (drums, electronic drums, synthesizers). Gillian Gilbert (keyboard) soon joined this group as well. Together they combined new wave and electronic dance music to become one of the most popular and influential bands of the 1980s. Their biggest hit was Blue Monday, which debuted in 1983. Unfortunately, Hook left the band in 2007 and the band stopped creating techno music in 2009.
- Rednex is a techno group from Sweden. They became popular throughout the world thanks to their song, Cotton Eye Joe, which was released in 1994. In Germany this band holds a record for staying at number one on the singles chart for 25 weeks straight. Unfortunately, this is the group’s only song that ever made it big in the United States.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.