So you're a proud resident of the Windy City and looking for job, but the search is not going well — then it might be time for you to consider one of the many temp agencies in Chicago. Don't fret. Temp work today is a much larger and more important part of the economy than ever before. It's become part of the dance, really — temp agencies in Chicago and elsewhere give workers a chance to try out jobs and companies the chance to try out workers. Give it a try and more than anything, don't trust popular culture's view of temp work — a 1993 movie called "The Temp" revolves around the aggressive actions of a temporary administrative assistant. A few of the key temp agencies in Chicago are below.
- Manpower. Temp work is big business. Manpower, the best-known provider of temporary employment services, has not ten, not twelve, but eleven temp agency offices in Chicago, including a downtown location at 227 West Monroe Street, Chicago, Ill. Manpower placed more than 3.5 million people worldwide into temporary positions in 2010.
- Kelly Services. Proving that temp work is not just for office roles anymore, Kelly Services places employees in a range of specialty businesses including finance and accounting, education, engineering, IT, law, science and health care. Kelly operates three temp agency offices in the Chicago area. Like many firms, Kelly was originally founded to focus on office services.
- City Staffing. Want to stay local and avoid the big, impersonal chains? Try this locally owned temp agency in Chicago, which focuses on filling temporary and temp-to-permanent roles in jobs such as graphic design, proofreader, data entry, general office, editor and marketing coordinator. City Staffing is located at 211 W. Wacker Drive, Suite 700, Chicago, Illinois 60606.
- Smart Resources. Hewing to more traditional temporary employment roles, but delivering them in a better way, Smart Resources emphasizes customer service. This temp agency in Chicago was founded in 1994 to emphasize administrative and finance positions. The agency is located at 20 S. Clark St., Suite 1450, Chicago, IL 60603.
- The Esquire Staffing Group. Focusing on administrative, legal, insurance, brokerage, financial, sales and marketing jobs, this temp agency in Chicago is also locally owned. The Esquire Group oversees places in temporary and temp-to-permanent positions and is located at One South Wacker Drive, Suite 1616, Chicago, Ill. 60606. No relationship to the magazine!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.