Tethering Iphone 3G
Tethering your iPhone 3G can allow you to use the Internet on your laptop in an area where you are away from your home and router. In other words, your iPhone can be used as a wireless modem in any number of places, such as in a friend's house or even if you are sitting outside in a park.
- Jailbreak your device. This procedure is necessary so that you can do the actual tethering. You will have to navigate to a Web site on your computer that enables jailbreaking and run the .exe file when prompted. Continue to follow the steps of installing the jailbreak program as an Administrator, then connect your iPhone via USB connector to install it.
- Install 3Proxy and Mobile Terminal. Load the Cydia application from the iPhone 3G jailbreak you performed when the device was connected to your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your laptop. Create a WiFi network to begin the tethering process. Give it a memorable, appropriate name for easy connection. Lock your iPhone 3G on the WiFi network.
- Look for your IP address. Locate your iPhone's IP address under the "WiFi Networks" option. Record the IP address. This should make the iPhone 3G tethering a bit easier.
- Load Mobile Terminal. Execute the proxy program on your iPhone 3G. Enter a name for the server and click "enter." Hit the "hom" button to return to the main screen, and quit the Mobile Terminal app.
- Load Safari on your iPhone. Allow the browser to recognize that it cannot use a WiFi network and switch to the 3G data connection. This will take awhile, so be patient.
- Configure Firefox to use WiFi on your iPhone. Go to "Preferences," "Advanced," "Network" and then to settings. Find the name you assigned for your host and enter the IP address of your iPhone 3G that you notated. Set the port to 1080. Go to the address bar in Firefox and type "about:config," hit "Enter," find the "Filter" field and type in the name you assigned for the connection. Hit "Enter" again, find a line that reads "network.proxy.assignedname_remote_dns." Double-click on that and change the value to "true."