Thai Massage Techniques
Thai massage techniques involve deep stretching and intense muscle relaxation. There are no massage oils involved. The client usually lays on a mat on the ground fully clothed while the masseuse focuses on pressure points, but you can adjust these techniques to your own personal taste. Try some of these Thai massage techniques with your partner if you’re looking for some new moves. Take turns being the "client" and the "masseuse."
- Use pressure points. Thai massage uses pressure points, or sen in Thai, to release the flow of energy within the body. This practice increases circulation and helps release toxins from the body. The masseuse uses her own body—from her fingertips to her feet—to apply pressure to these areas.
- Warm up the muscles. This is the first step in any Thai massage. Warm up the muscles in the body by stretching the hamstrings and pulling on the feet. Also, press on the thighs with your palms from the back to the knee to the buttocks. Gently rub the back from the hips to the neck so your partner will get comfortable with your touch.
- Plough stretch. The plough stretch is the second stretch in the Thai massage series. The masseuse pulls the legs from the feet, and then presses from the knee caps toward the client’s neck. The key is to stretch the body slowly to relax the muscles. This technique elongates the spine and benefits the body by working the back muscles that promote better posture.
- Shoulder stretch. The shoulder stretch has many different names, but the movement is the same. The masseuse stretches the client’s back by pulling upward on his shoulders. The client is face down on the ground, and reaches back to hold the masseuse’s legs as leverage. This stretch increases balance and also helps elongate the spine.
- Arm stretch. The last Thai massage technique is the arm stretch, which is designed to strengthen the back muscles and release negative energy from the shoulders. The client lays on his back this time, and rests his feet on the masseuse’s thighs while the masseuse pulls upward on the arms.