Thank You Notes After Interview
It is a solid strategy to send thank you notes after interview appointments. An interviewer sees many people when a company is hiring and by sending the interviewer a short thank you note, the applicant shows his appreciation for being considered for the job. Those applicants who fail to send a note to an interviewer may find themselves still looking for work.
Things you may need:
- Thank you notes and envelopes
- Interviewer addresses
- Pen with black ink
- Return address labels
- Buy a pack of thank you notes at a local stationery store. Do not order the thank you notes online unless you do so well in advance of the interview. The notes should be sent out the day after the interview at the latest. If you are interviewing with multiple companies, make sure to buy enough notes.
- The thank you notes you buy do not need to be fancy or colorful. The contents of the note is what the interviewer will remember. Flowing letters or designs on the front of the thank you notes will only serve as a distraction. Buy a black pen that writes nicely to use when you write out the notes.
- Address the envelopes of each thank you note. If you interviewed with more than one person, address a separate envelope to each person you spoke with. Only sending just one thank you to the main person you spoke with may backfire if the other interviewers are particularly sensitive.
- Write out the thank you notes. Because interviewers meet a lot of people, include the date you spoke with them in your note. Do not use gushing adjectives in your note that describe how much you want the job, the interviewer already knows you want it. Thank the interviewer by name and write two or three paragraphs reiterating your interest in the company.
- Include your contact information at the bottom of the note. While it is likely that the interviewer still has your information, it is a good idea to include it just in case. Also leave your email address and cell phone number in addition to your home address and house phone number. Keep this in mind before you write out the thank you note so you remember to write small enough to fit all of the information. Mail the thank you notes and remember to put a return address label on each envelope.