Things To Do In Connecticut
Despite the small geographical size of the Nutmeg State, there are many things to do in Connecticut. There is a great mix of urban and nature based opportunities in the area. Here is a small sampling of the better things to do.
- Visit the Maritime Aquarium. The Maritime Aquarium is located in the coastal city of Norwalk, Connecticut near the Long Island Sound. You'll experience many of the marine life of the area. When you're done looking at fish, you can enter the IMAX theater, which has a six story tall screen.
- Visit the New England Air Museum. Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut hosts a museum where you can look at more than 80 historical aircraft and aircraft parts. Windsor Locks is a stone's throw away from Hartford-Connecticut's capitol.
- Eat Falafel at Mamoun's. Do you like middle eastern food? The Yale University neighborhood of New Haven is home to a very popular falafel joint at 85 Howe Street. Mamoun's is the thing to do in New Haven's late night hours. Even if you're not in New Haven, it's worth the trip. Trains go to and from New Haven in all directions.
- Hike the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail meanders into Connecticut for a 52 mile stretch starting in the town of Kent. Walk the whole stretch or just part of it. If you're in it for the full experience, you will see Bear Mountain and a few of many Connecticut state parks along the way.
- Go to the beach. Connecticut is home to a lot of beaches. Some are suitable for swimming, and some are not. Like most New England beaches, Connecticut beaches are often very rocky. The beautiful Long Island Sound is worth the trip. You can visit the beach in the Old Lyme area of Eastern Connecticut or in an urban center such as Stamford, Bridgeport or Norwalk. It's also a stone's throw away from Mamoun's.
- Gamble. Connecticut legalized casinos on Indian reservations in the 1990s. The two main casinos are Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. The Foxwoods Resort Casino is property of the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation in Mashantucket, Connecticut. They have 6,500 slot machines, 100 poker tables, a concert venue and hotel. The Mohegan Sun is a set of three casinos, a 10,000 seat sports arena, a spa and a hotel and convention center. Visit the Mohegan Sun in the town of Uncasville. Once you're there, you probably won't even bother looking for other things to do in Connecticut.
Posted on: Mar. 25, 2011