An authentic Tibetan recipe to ring in the New Year is Tibetan New Year's Eve Soup. The soup is served with special dumplings. These are not dumplings you will want to eat though! The dumplings are used as a method to predict the New Year's fortune of the person who is eating it. "Losar" is the Tibetan word for New Year. Enjoy celebrating the Tibetan New Year with some delicious soup and dumplings.
In order to make an authentic Tibetan recipe for the Tibetan New Year, you will need the following ingredients.
- Two pounds of beef stew meat
- Three quarts water
- One cup each of sliced onions, leeks, and celery
- Two cups sliced cabbage
- Two and a half teaspoons salt
- One bay leaf
- One teaspoon turmeric seeds
- One teaspoon mustard seeds
- One half teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- Four cups of flour
- One cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Items to add to the dumplings include the following.
- Cotton ball
- Folder paper
- Chili pepper
- Sugar cube
- Wool string
- Piece of wood
- Trim excess fat off the beef stew meat. Coat the meat with flour. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the meat. Cook just until outside is browned.
- Transfer to a four quart saucepan. Add the water. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for an hour. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer.
For the Dumplings
- Stir the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Use a mixer to form dough. You will need to add just enough water to make it doughy.
- Move the dough mixture to a well-floured surface. Knead the dough, shaping it into a roll.
- Cut the roll of dough into nine different pieces. Flatten the dough pieces in your hands. Add one of the objects to each piece of dough. Form a ball with the item inside. Add a little bit of water to seal the edges.
- Fill a large pot with water. Add the dumplings and simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Transfer the dumplings to a pretty platter to honor the Tibetan New Year. All each guest to select a dumpling along with their soup.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.