Tilapia Fish Taco Recipe
This is a Tilapia fish taco recipe that combines the fresh flavors of salsa fresca and Chipotle cream sauce for a spicy dish that everyone is sure to love. This tilapia is cooked on the grill and the fish and salsa will need at least 30 minutes to marinate before cooking. This is a great recipe for a backyard barbecue and it’s a refreshing change from traditional hamburgers and hotdogs.
- Barbeque grill
- Aluminum foil
- 5 Serving dishes
- Non-reactive bowl
Ingredients for Tilapia:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 lime juice
- 1/4 tspn chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 Tilapia filets
Ingredients for Salsa Fresca:
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp cilanto, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
Ingredients for Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- In a non-reactive bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, chili powder and garlic. Add the fish and allow it to marinade for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 2 hours before grilling.
- Prepare the salsa by combining the tomatoes, onion, chilies, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in small bowl. This should be set aside or put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving to allow all the flavors to blend.
- Start the chipotle cream sauce by draining the chipotle into a small bowl and removing the seeds. Add the crème fraiche and lime juice with the chipotle and set aside. If you don’t have crème fresh, heavy cream can be substituted.
- Preheat the barbecue grill and clean rack thoroughly to avoid the fish from sticking. This can be done with a wire brush after the grill is warmed up.
- Drain the tilapia from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Cook over a hot grill for approximately two minutes on each side. Let the tilapia cool slightly and cut it into strips. Transfer it to a warm serving dish and cover to hold the heat in.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and place in aluminum foil. Place on the grill for one to two minutes until soft and heated through.
- For serving, place the tilapia, tortillas, salsa fresca, chipotle cream and cabbage in separate serving dishes on the table. Allow each person to make their own taco and decide what ingredients they want to try.
This recipe serves six, but it can be doubled or tripled for larger groups of people. Tilapia fish tacos are perfect for tropical-themed parties or for a healthier version of traditional tacos. It does take 60 minutes to prepare, but remember that approximately half of that time is for marinating. The salsa and cream sauce can be made the day before to cut down the preparation time on the day of the cookout, but the tilapia needs to be prepared shortly before grilling.