These tips for horseback riding on the beach are meant to enhance the fun and safety of bonding with your steed in the gorgeous backdrop of a shore. Beach rides are great for less experienced riders but offer an alternative routine for more seasoned riders as well.
- If you’re a beginner when it comes to horseback riding, it’s best to book a tour or lesson under the watchful eyes of a professional. You can also take some riding lessons beforehand, but it isn’t at all wise to attempt this on your own. Check with your chamber of commerce or tourist bureau for rules and tours regarding horseback riding on the beach.
- Get a permit for riding on the beach. If you’ll be horseback riding without the company of an organized tour, you’ll probably need to purchase a permit. They can be free on some beaches. It’s best to check with a city’s chamber of commerce or tourist bureau.
- Find out where you can ride on the beach. Some areas on the beach are not allowed to be used as trails for the protection of the beach or the rider. Contact park services ahead of time to find out where you’ll be able to traverse with your horse.
- Dress appropriately. Horseback riding on the beach can be uncomfortable if you don’t have the right clothing and gear. It is best to dress in layers so you can peel off clothing or put them back on depending on the wind, weather and general comfort when it comes to being on the horse. Bring a hat and sunscreen as well.
- Keep a good distance between the water and your horse. There are many environmental hazards you could possible be subject to while riding on the beach. This includes crashing waves, winds, crowds with small children and the horse losing footing in the shifting sand. Know the timing of the tides, as you will have more room to ride when the tide is low and less when the tide is high. Prevent this by paying attention to the behavior of your horse and keeping an eye out for possible dangers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.