These tips on how to stop sex addictions can help someone suffering from this addiction. Just like drugs and alcohol, sex can become an addiction. When you have a sex addition, there are a few things you can do to help you get through these troubling times. Depending on how severe your sexual additions are and what they are geared towards, you may need to seek psychological help. Knowing how to stop a sex stop sex addiction will depend on your desire for help and your support system.
Things you'll need:
- A support system
- A support system is very important. Just like drugs and alcohol addictions, no one should have to go through breaking an addiction alone. A support system can be made up of close family members, your spouse or a support group mentor.
- Avoiding your compulsions. This may include avoiding certain places or watching porn. Avoiding your temptations is vital in trying to break your sex addiction. Because sex addicts view sex as their “high,” it’s important to know to avoid these compulsions.
- Facing your problem. One of the top ways to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Until you admit you have a problem, nothing will help you get over sex addiction. Some people will need help getting to this stage.
- Joining a support group. Many times people need to be around people who share the same addictions they are trying to battle. Finding like-minded people helps people discuss what they are feeling. Support groups help people realize they have a problem without being judgmental.
- Seeking professional help. When trying to control a sex addiction on your own is no longer effective, professional help is needed. Professionals are trained to offer the guidance a sex addict needs to help him/her gain control of the addiction. Professional help can be administered as an outpatient or inpatient basis.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.