Tips For Ice Climbing Technique
It is cold, slippery, and a challenge that many can not turn down, and with these tips for ice climbing technique, you'll be able to enjoy it to the fullest. Ice climbing is a sport that is much like mountain climbing. The only difference is the freezing weather, the slippery slopes and the hidden natural crevices under the snow that could swallow you whole. All in all sounds like a great day at the park right. As one of the most dangerous sports a person can undertake, there are some tips for ice climbing one might want to consider before attempting it.
- Get and Expert. When first beginning any sport that could challenge your will to live, it is always a good idea to see what might be on the checklist of things to carry out first. Someone that has been across a few icy mountain faces in the past will surly help you in your goal to become a good climber. There are many ways to go about this. Washington has a gathering every year that attracts many such climbers. They offer courses for beginners, and experienced guides. They also have gear and safety training to help a climber descend a mountain when they choose to, better for you then at gravity's hand.
- Gearing up is important. Once you have found some instruction and tips for ice climbing, it is time to get your gear together. Your experienced climber will explain that you don't want to skimp in this important step for ice climbing. Your gear is your life.
- Clothing must withstand the weather. You are going to want a few layers of clothing, making sure there is an ample amount of weather proof gear to protect you from the ice and cold wind. The top layer should be water repelling to keep the melting ice from penetrating your out fit.
- The harness must be of good quality. Look for the flexibility of the fabric. Also for a good thick tread for all seems. Make sure all straps are well mounted and that the rope tie offs are sturdy. If this one tool lets go, there is no going back.
- Make sure you have all your climbing gear. Other tools such as the ice axe, crampons, and ice screws are necessary to ascend the icy mountain. Make sure that you check with your pro, or expert friends when picking these Items. The will be best to tell you what ones are the best for the ice climbing you will be practicing.
Ice climbing is fun and exciting. If done right, than you will see many beautiful scenes from the top cliffs of the mountains. Start with your glaciers and work your way up. Most glaciers are not that steep and will allow you to get a feel for the next climbs on you list to does. Never climb alone and always wear your gear. These things will help to ensure a safe and enjoyable climb.