Tips For Makng Hiking Staffs
Tips for making a hiking staff can be very beneficial if you are new to the camping world. No hiker or camper should be caught without a hiking staff. These staffs can be used to steady yourself over tough terrain or to take unnecessary strain off of extremities. If you decide to make a hiking staff instead of purchasing one, here are some tips for making a hiking staff.
- Use wood that is already on the ground. It is never a good idea to rip branches from a tree. Branches that are perfect for a hiking staff can be found laying around in a wooded area. Taking a branch off of a tree can lead to injury for the tree.
- Find a comfortable height. Some hikers prefer to have a hiking staff that is shoulder height while others may want a shorter staff. There is no right or wrong size when it comes to hiking staffs. Pick up a couple different branches and see what you prefer.
- Look for a strong branch. One of the best tips for making a hiking staff is to pick out a very strong stick. There should be no signs of rot in the wood. Lean on the stick to ensure it is strong enough to hold up your weight.
- Allow the stick to dry out completely. It may take two to four weeks for your stick to completely dry out. Make sure you leave your hiking staff alone during this drying period.
- Sand the entire staff. To make your hiking staff smooth, sand it with a sandpaper. You want your hiking staff to be smooth to your touch. A rough hiking staff will be tough on your hands.
- Take time to varnish your hiking staff. Although varnishing a staff is not absolutely necessary, it will make your hiking staff stronger and more attractive. The varnish will keep moisture out of the wood. Too much moisture could weaken your staff.
- Place a piece of rubber at the bottom. A piece of rubber or rubber stopper at the bottom of your staff will keep it from slipping. This can be very important when crossing a slippery creek bed or going down a steep slope.
A hiker can save a lot of money by using these tips for making a hiking staff. Some hiking staffs can cost a few hundred dollars at a sporting goods store. While hiking staffs are important, having one made of titanium is not. A lot of hikers like the look of a home-made hiking staff. Before heading out on your hike, make sure you follow these tips for making a hiking staff to ensure your comfort and safety.