In classic American tradition, create this sparkling hard lemonade by following a simple Tom Collins recipe. This dazzling cocktail dates back 1876 when the famous American bartender and father of mixology, Jerry Thomas published the recipe in a Bartender’s Guide. A perfect blend of lemon juice, sugar, club soda and gin creates a traditional effervescent lemony cocktail that even has its own glass that is narrow, tall, and known as a Tom Collins glass.
To make a Tom Collins, you will need:
- 2 ounces gin
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fine sugar
- 3 ounces club soda, chilled
- 1 Maraschino cherry
- 1 slice orange
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Add the gin, lemon juice, and sugar to the cocktail shaker. Shake until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Shake well and strain into a chilled Tom Collins glass filled with ice cubes.
- Top the Tom Collins cocktail with the club soda and stir gently.
- Garnish a Tom Collins with an orange slice and Maraschino cherry.
- Most cocktails are better when served in a chilled glass. Rinse a Tom Collins glass in clear water and place in the freezer, while still wet, for at least 30 minutes.
- Using poor quality gin makes a poor quality Tom Collins. Always use top quality liquor when making any mixed drinks.
- Do not add the club soda to the cocktail shaker with the other ingredients.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!