Tom Petty Quotes
Thomas Earl "Tom" Petty's quotes invoke some serious thinking and agreement by his listeners. Petty became one of rock and roll's most enduring songwriters, singers and musicians. He has recorded solo albums, formed the popular Heartbreakers in 1975 and was part of the Traveling Wilburys.
- "We enjoy playing with each other, which I think is a pretty important part of this. If we didn't, we'd have given it up a long time ago. The idea when we started was to take five people and keep 'em together no matter what and see what we could get out of it and we've pretty much stuck to that plan." This quote refers to the Traveling Wilburys where Petty teamed up with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. This supergroup was very successful in the late 1980s.
- "This award comes at a particularly nice time, as the Heartbreakers and I go into the 30th year of our career. I'm very honored that Billboard has acknowledged me with this award." The Heartbreakers had their own distinctive sound over three decades and were one of the few rock and roll groups who filmed some of the most popular and inventive videos in MTV history. Petty and the Heartbreakers reunited in 1996 and continued to have successful albums, including "Mojo" which appeared in 2010.
- "It's very easy to be cynical about the Hall of Fame. But on the other hand, it's really a beautiful thing for someone like me. I dedicated my entire life to this music." Petty and his musical groups are versatile and were willing to do their own kind of music no matter what else was popular at the time, so Petty deserved the Hall of Fame honor. For his music, Petty also plays different instruments to add to his singing and songwriting talents.
- "You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does." What do you think of this approach when addressing college students? It is certainly different from the usual speech! Hopefully it made the students think!
- "You and I will meet again when we're least expecting it. One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face. I won't say goodbye my friend, for you and I will meet again." This is such a nice way of parting instead of saying "Goodbye." In his travels and many performances, Tom Petty saw and remembered many friends and fans over the years.