Top 10 Adventure Movies
Ever wondered which films would make the list of top 10 adventure movies? Almost everyone enjoys a good adventure film. Usually packed with lots of action, epic journeys and breathtaking views, there's a little something for everyone in a good adventure movie. If you're looking for some of the top adventure movies of all time, you've certainly come to the right place. Be sure to jot these down for your next movie night.
- "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Released in 1981, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" gave us our first taste of professor and archaeologist Indiana Jones. Played by Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones was a ruggedly handsome and oddly comedic adventure-seeker, who spent his spare time searching out hidden treasures. If you're looking for one of the best adventure movies, don't let this one pass you by.
- "Jaws" Director Steven Spielberg brought us this great action-adventure tale in 1975, forever changing the way we look at sharks. If you're looking for a great adventure movie with lots of creepy thrills, you may find this classic to your liking. Starring Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfus, this is an oldie but a goodie.
- "Die Hard" If you're looking for an adventure movie with lots of action, you will certainly enjoy the 1988 Bruce Willis film, "Die Hard." One of the best adventure movies of the decade, "Die Hard" is about New York cop John McClane, who ends up terrorizing terrorists in an effort to free hostages trapped in an LA office building.
- "Star Wars" Originally released in 1977, "Star Wars" is one of the top adventure movies of all time. Starring Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, it's a sci-fi story about a young man who teams up with some rebels in an attempt to save the beautiful Princess Leia from evil lord Darth Vader.
- "Pirates of the Caribbean" One of the more recent films in our list of best adventure movies, "Pirates of the Caribbean" was released in 2003. Starring Johnny Depp as the comical "Captain" Jack Sparrow, this film is a must-see for anyone who enjoys pirates and epic tales of adventure.
- "The Bridge on the River Kwai" If you like classic adventure movies, you might be interested in checking out "The Bridge on the River Kwai." Released in 1957, this movie stars William Holden, Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins in a tale of British P.O.W.s who are ordered to build a bridge for the Burma-Siam railway.
- "The Matrix" If sci-fi adventure movies are your thing, don't miss Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Laurence Fishburne in the 1999 blockbuster "The Matrix." This one is sure to lead you on an adventure that will cause you to question reality and everything as we know it.
- "The Empire Strikes Back" In the sequel to "Star Wars," this 1980 release takes us on yet another adventure with young Luke Skywalker as he advances his Jedi training and prepares to battle the evil Darth Vader once again. Perhaps one of the best sequels ever made, you definitely won't want to miss this amazing adventure movie.
- "The Lord of the Rings" If you like epic adventure movies, be sure to bring lots of popcorn and get ready to settle in for an amazing three hours of greatness with "The Lord of the Rings." Starring Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom, this 2001 movie is based on the classic J.R.R. Tolkien novel.
- "Gladiator" One of the most breathtaking adventure movies of all time, the 2000 Ridley Scott film, "Gladiator" took home five Oscars. Starring Russell Crow and Joaquin Phoenix, this is the story of a Roman general who, after his family is murdered by a corrupt prince, endeavors to become a powerful gladiator so that he might have his revenge.