With the advent of the internet, it’s become easy to find pornography, but much of what is available online does not live up to the golden age of adult film; the top 10 best adult movies of all time contained pornographic elements, no doubt, but they were also movies that told stories. Some were serious, some light and funny, all of them titillating, but in the heyday of adult movies, the seventies and eighties, it wasn’t all about the money shot. There was more to it. This list of the top 10 best adult movies of all time centers on sexy storytelling, a type of entertainment that has sadly gone by the wayside.
- “Deep Throat” (1972) - The top 10 best adult movies of all time list is topped by the film that began the “porno chic” craze of the 1970s, featuring Linda Lovelace’s oral talents in the service of a comedic plot, the tone of which is imitated in adult movies to this day.
- “New Wave Hookers” (1985) – This adult masterpiece from the Dark Brothers featured then popular new wave music and style, as two daydreaming losers’ fantasies played out onscreen.
- “Behind the Green Door” (1972) – The film debut of ingenue Marilyn Chambers was directed by adult entrepreneurs the Mitchell Brothers. Combining avant garde filmmaking techniques with hardcore action, it helped to usher in the surreally sexy seventies.
- “The Devil in Miss Jones” (1973) – The oft-imitated premise of this classic has a recently dead woman returning to earth as the embodiment of lust, “earning” her place in hell.
- “Naked Afternoon” (1976) – Perhaps the first “meta” porn movie, “Naked Afternoon” stars the beautiful and innocent-looking Abigail Clayton as an aspiring actress who ends up making adult films. It earns its place on the list of top 10 best adult movies of all time due to her enthusiastic and realistic performance.
- “Three Daughters” (1986) – Possibly the best example of a “feminist” adult film, Candida Royale’s masterpiece earns its spot on the top 10 best adult movies of all time list due to its sensual portrayal of womanly pleasure, a vast departure from most male-centered erotic films.
- “The Opening of Misty Beethoven” (1976) - Another adult comedy, this is a satire based loosely on “My Fair Lady,” taking a trashy hooker and placing her in the upper class, where she is quite the hit.
- “Debbie Does Dallas” (1978) - The title of this classic says it all.
- “Flesh Gordon” (1974) - This sci-fi spoof with adult overtones was popular enough to be edited into an R-rated release for mass consumption.
- “The Private Afternoons of Pamela Mann” (1974) – Probably the first porn film to be shot on a Hollywood budget, removing the sex scenes could have made this a hit in any circle. Though, where’s the fun in that?
Each person probably has his or her own opinion on the top 10 best adult movies of all time, but the above list is as good a start as any. Happy viewing.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …