Top 10 Best Comedies of All Time
If it’s true that laughter is the best medicine, then doctors should start handing out the ten best comedy movies of all time instead of pills. We would have a kinder, less addicted population. Not to mention, more enjoyable side effects lists. “Possible side effects may include: watery eyes, uncontrollable urination and endless fits of laughter…if laughter leads to hyperventilation please seek medical attention.” Here are the movies that should prescribe:
1. “The Life of Brian” The Monty Python comedy troupe continues to be the standard of comedic groups. Holy Grail may be their most well know and often quoted movie, but it is not as complete a movie as Brian. This movie is the penultimate in smart/stupid humor. It comes unnervingly close to depicting human nature during the most formative time of our species history. This is the best comedy movie of all-time, but don’t take my word for it, “You need to think for yourselves.”
2. “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” In the heart of the cold war, Stanley Kubric broke down the symptoms of the world’s problems to their cause: sex. It all revolves around sex…and Peter Sellers incredible character acting. This is the second best comedy of all time and it is not up for debate. After all, “you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!”
3. “The Jerk” “I was born a poor black child,” and with that opening quote the tone was set for a wild, one of a kind comedy ride. A better, rag to riches to rag to riches story has never been told. I know four things in this world, “Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it,” and The Jerk is one of the best comedies of all-time.
4. “Caddyshack” No matter how bad things may be going, Caddyshack is guaranteed to deliver laughs. “So, we got that going for us.” This movie takes deadpan humor to a new level. With outrageous one-liners, subtle backdrop hilarity and an all-star cast, at the top of their game, Caddyshack stays fresh, viewing after viewing.
5. “Airplane!” “Looks like I quit the wrong day to stop sniffing glue,” because it is hard to narrow this list to ten movies, but “Airplane’s!” inclusion on the best comedy movie list is a no-brainer. From an all-star comedic cast to incredible writing, this movie has everything a spoof needs.
6. “Animal House” See if you can guess what movie I am talking about now. This best comedy movie launched John Belushi into the threads of Americana while creating a new movie genre: the gross out comedy. It is a movie that has seen countless imitators and no equals.
7. “The Big Lebowski”
“What do you do for recreation?”
”Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.”
With this answer we are introduced to the Dude, and a new kind of comedy. Quality quotes and layers of humor abound in this best comedy movie.
8. “Young Frankenstein” “That’s Young Frank-en-steen!” Shot in black and white and with props from original 1930’s Frankenstein movies, Young Frankenstein set the bar for the spoof genre. It is this attention to detail and the serious tone of the actors, led by Gene Wilder, that make this comedy classic endlessly funny.
9. “Anchorman” “I don't know how to put this, but this movie is kind of a big deal.” “Anchorman” introduced the movie world to the star power of Will Ferrell and the possibilities of a comedy period piece. It also gave us all endless ammo in our quote arsenal: “When in Rome.”
10. “Borat” With his racist, sexist, yet somehow charming point of views, Borat cast a mirror on societies ugly underbelly and highlights it through comedy. With charm and enthusiasm Borat lends us a glimpse into people’s true feelings. “I hope President Bush drinks the blood of every man, woman, and child in Iraq!” Some of the audience, he was addressing, continued clapping.