Top 10 Best Indie Movies
These top ten best indie movies show how indie movies have been on the rise in popularity over the past decade. More and more people are learning that indie flicks can be and are great, but it is also the epitome of a hit-or-miss genre. These top ten best indie movies include all hits and no misses.
- "Requiem for a Dream" Directed by Darren Aronofsky, and based off of the novel by Hubert Selby Jr., this gritty drama showcases the downfalls and damaging consequences of drug use, and how quickly a life can completely unravel.
- "American Beauty" Directed by Sam Mendes and written by Alan Ball, this movie stars amazing actors and actresses like Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, and Thora Birch. This movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The plot of this movie is based around an unhappy, upper-middle class, suburban man, Lester. Living with his uptight, controlling wife and miserable teenage daughter, Lester can’t help having a mid-life crisis. It is hard to keep yourself detached from this relatable film.
- "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" This Indie-Romantic Drama is based around the unsteady relationship of Joel Barish and Clementine Kruczynski, played by Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. Don’t let the credit of Jim Carrey sway you away from watching this emotionally charged film. Featuring other actors and actresses like Tom Wilkinson and Kirsten Dunst, this film is guaranteed to invoke various pain-staking emotions. Although this is categorized as an indie-romance, it is definitely not a first date kind of movie.
- "The Royal Tenenbaums" Directed and written by Wes Anderson, this dry-humor comedy focuses on a family of child prodigies that reunite when their father claims he has stomach cancer.
- "The Go-Getter" While dealing with the loss of his mother, Mercer feels trapped and alone. After deciding to steal a car from a car wash his friend works at, he learns about the owner of the car, Kate, through late night phone calls and the contents of her car. The show of raw, human emotions portrayed in this movie is truly overwhelming. Featuring the talents of Lou Taylor Pucci and Zooey Deschanel (queen of indie movies), this Martin Hynes movie is a must-see.
- "Brick" Directed and written by Rian Johnson, this thriller is based around the death of the lead characters ex-girlfriend. The dialogue between characters is more comparable to a classic P.I. show than a regular drama. This movie will draw you in immediately.
- "Memento" Directed and written by Christopher Nolan, this movie is based around a man suffering from short-term memory loss, trying to avenge the death of his wife. The entire movie is filmed in flashbacks and recalled memories—each one earlier in time. Starring Guy Pearce, this movie is an indie classic.
- "Thumbsucker" Justin, a teenage boy, brings chaos to his family home when he tries to break away from his addiction of sucking his thumb. Justin quickly becomes addicted to his Adderall prescription, and the discontent becomes way too much for all the members of his family to bear.
- "Closer" Featuring the amazing talents of Clive Owens, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, and Julia Roberts, this movie is bound to move any watcher. The plot follows two intertwined couples, and shows the truthful and harmful sides to relationships. It shows the downfalls of being in love with the concept of love. You might never want to be in a relationship again, but the movie is still worth watching.
- "The Virgin Suicides" Directed by Sofia Coppola and based on the novel by Jeffrey Eugenides, this adaptation is truly magnificent. This drama centers on the obsession of neighborhood boys towards the Lisbon sisters who all, consequently, commit suicide. James Wood, Kathleen Turner, and Kirsten Dunst are just a few to name off of the amazing cast.