Along with grunge and alternative rock, R&B dominated popular music in the ‘90s, so choosing the top ten best R&B albums of the ‘90s is harder than trying to decide which member of Destiny’s Child is the cutest (Hint: Her name starts with a B and she's pretty famous now).
- “Crazy Sexy Cool.” T-Boz, Left Eye and Chilli completely topped their success with this hit record. With its dirty grooves (“Red Light Special”) and poignant pop masterpieces (“Waterfalls”) it’s without a doubt one of the best R&B albums of the ‘90s.
- “Poison.” After Bobby Brown steam-rolled the pop charts with “Don’t Be Cruel,” three of the other former New Edition members retaliated with this 1990 album, one of the best R&B albums of the '90s. This record pretty much set the tone for '90s R&B with crazy-fresh singles like “Poison” and “Do Me!”
- “Dangerous.” It doesn’t have the notoriety of “Thriller” or the bad-boy vibe of “Bad,” but this Michael Jackson album delivered Jackson’s usual all-star mix of ballads (“Heal The World”), epics (“Black or White”) and laid-back dance (“Remember The Time”), making it one of the best R&B albums of the ‘90s.
- ““II.” After dabbling in a tougher sound, Boyz II Men took its New Jack Philly sound to the pop stratosphere with the help of hit singles like “Water Runs Dry,” “On Bended Knee,” “I’ll Make Love To You” and a cover of “Yesterday."
- "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." Finally, the ‘90s had an album to rival Stevie Wonder’s “Songs In The Key of Life” in Lauryn Hill’s debut album. Hill’s album hit reggae, pop and soul and had hits like “Doo Wop (That Thing)” and “Everything is Everything.”
- "Daydream." One of the most successful female artists of all time, Mariah Carey had a lot of great albums and hit singles in the ‘90s, but this album, one of the best R&B albums of the '90s, takes the cake.
- “The Velvet Rope.” After a trail of success that nearly rivaled her brother Michael’s, Janet Jackson released this concept album about rejecting celebrity. This album had hits like the smooth “Together Again” and "Got ‘til It’s Gone.”
- “Funky Divas.” So what if En Vogue was nothing but a group assembled by a production team, they weren’t the first and they won’t be the last. This album had enough classic cuts, including “Free Your Mind” and “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)" to make it one of the best R&B albums of the ’90s.
- “My Life.” P. Diddy did something right in the ‘90s. You can thank him for co-producing this amazing Mary J. Blige album, one of the best R&B albums of the ‘90s. It’s a mixture of classic soul and R&B, and full of hits like “Mary Jane (All Night Long),” and “Be Happy.”
- “Diamonds and Pearls.” This is one of the best R&B albums of the '90s for two reasons. One, it’s Prince. Two, in hindsight it’s probably Prince’s last truly solid hit album, thanks to singles like “Gett Off” and the sex-drenched “Cream.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream