Here are the 10 best rock bands of the '90s. There are important rock bands that have defined and re-energized the music genre in each progressive decade since it started. Rock and roll music was created, developed and nurtured in the past century. When it came to the '90s, there are some bands that clearly stand out and can never be forgotten.
- Despite the ultimate tragedy of lead singer Kurt Cobain's suicide, Nirvana is probably the most famous and infamous band from the 1990s. They had many hits in the short time that the band soared to success, and they're beloved and remembered by the replaying of their music for new and old fans alike every day.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers is a great band often associated with the '90's. It reached a great level of critical achievement and fan success as a rock and roll band in the 1990s.
- Arrested Development stood out as an alternative rock group in the '90s. Its biggest hit, "Mr. Wendal," is a catchy song with an important message about the homeless and the judgment that falls down upon them.
- No Doubt became another iconic band from the decade. It had seemingly overnight success in the late 1990s, but they were plugging away as an independent group for years before reaching rock and roll stardom.
- Matchbox Twenty was a growling, eccentric rock band. Its lead singer, Rob Thomas, sang "Push" from a woman's point-of-view, and that's the hit that they are most remembered for to this day, although they have had much success beyond the 1990s. Thomas now enjoys solo success.
R.E.M. was the band of the 1990s. To demonstrate how much so, it was their song "Losing My Religion" that was played for Brenda and Dylan during one of their crucial relationship moments in "90210." The band's homage song to Andy Kaufman ("Man on the Moon") later became the inspiration for the movie title of the film about his life. Its a band of the '90s, and it's one that's had far reaching success.
- Phantom Planet was a strong rock band of the decade as well. They formed in the '90s. Although they didn't skyrocket to mainstream fame until 2000, their initial fan base and great rock songs were played in many, many clubs in the 1990s.
- The Foo Fighters is the band that formed in the wake of Kurt Cobain's passing. Nirvana fans followed these talented musicians as well, and they're known as a phenomenally successfully rock band on their own.
The Paula Cole Band provided great mellow rock and roll and hard hitting ballads. It's a band that's remembered for many 1990s hits and its lead singer Paula Cole. It also provided the theme song to that great 1990s iconic show, "Dawson's Creek."
- Pearl Jam has had success for a very long time, but they are most associated with the '90s. Their hits in this decade are often referred to as songs that defined it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.