Top 10 Best Rock Bands of All Time
Since Chuck Berry first plugged in his guitar and began playing it like he was ringing a bell, people have looked towards the best rock bands for the brightest and loudest form of expression. When performed with soul and talent, rock ‘n’ roll is pure art.
1. The Beatles Collectively, The Beatles are the worst players of their instruments on this list, but the songwriting, oh that beautiful, memorable and timeless songwriting. It is what separates the Beatles. They made the soundtracks that document the course of society and individual lives. Combine this with their innovations to the art of recording and you have the best rock band of all time.
2. The Doors The most unique band in the history of rock music, The Doors are driven by image-laden poetry and experimental song structures. Theatrical and dynamic drumming holds their songs together. Highlighted by an unrivaled interplay and lead exchanges of keyboards and guitars, the Doors possess some of the most interesting changes in rock. When they were on, The Doors were otherworldly live—leaving no doubt, The Doors are one of the best rock bands ever.
3. Led Zeppelin is a collection of the most individually talented musicians to ever play together. Each member is a virtuoso in his craft. They created a vehicle, which displays their talents in an accessible and interesting package. Their innovations and mastery pushed the limits of possibilities and beauty of rock. Without a doubt, they are one of history’s best rock bands.
4. The Rolling Stones May we all be blessed with the services of The Rolling Stones agent, because when he bargained their deal with the Devil…he broke the mold. The Stones longevity defies all the rules of rock music and we all are better off because of it. There is not a style this band has not experimented with and ultimately dominated. They belong on any list of best rock bands.
5. Tool A mysterious group that lets their music do the talking, Tool has grown into a mature and patient band. Fueled by driving guitar, heavy bass, blistering drumming and poetic, satirical and downright bizarre lyrics, Tool is not afraid to let a song find it’s own fate. Rock music has never seen a band deliver as complete a journey with one song as Tool.
6. Pearl Jam Defying its early grunge stereotype and persevering through early superstardom, Pearl Jam has developed a loyal and rabid fan base by performing consistently amazing live shows. The band’s style has evolved while staying true to their classic rock guitar roots and poetic story telling lyrics. Each member is determined to improve with every album and every show. Pearl Jam appears poised to continue their run as one of the best rock bands for years to come.
7. Nirvana The gray and rainy Pacific Northwest delivered us a trio that fused punk and classic guitar riffs, while taking them to a distorted and darker new level. The dirty guitar and bass sounds are driven by powerful drum flourishes. These elements are all tied together by self-loathing, cynical and poetic lyrics. What separates Nirvana from the legion of imitators that followed is their catchy and unforgettable melodies—Nirvana is the band that brought darkness to happiness.
8. Sublime From sunny southern California came a trio pumping out a mix of reggae/rock/rap that defined the Ska genre. The infectious melodies and clever lyrics are supported by melodic bass lines and crisp, snappy drums. They are the band that brought sunshine to the blues and themselves into the elite group of best rock bands.
9. Guns N’ Roses For three albums, everything Guns N’ Roses played was rock excellence. From stadium rock standards like “Welcome to the Jungle” to the more ambitious “November Rain,” they produced sonic perfection, which sometimes gets lost under the weight of their subsequent drama.
10. Muse Backed by heavy rocking bass riffs and fast, punishing drums Muse is driven by rock opera vocals and virtuoso guitar and keyboard playing. Fusing elements of rock, funk and classical music, each Muse album finds them expanding their sound. Traits that will unlikely move them up the best rock band chart.