If you enjoy indie music, chances are you're going to love this list of the top 10 English indie bands. Indie rock continues to gain popularity, both in the United States and overseas. English indie bands are bringing a unique sound to the mix, winning over fans with a combination of great music, awesome accents and raw talent. Expand your horizons (regardless of what country you live in) and give a listen to these amazing English indie bands.
- Artic Monkeys: Formed in 2002, few English indie bands have enjoyed the success of this Sheffield quartet. Their debut album "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" made music history as the fastest-selling debut album in British music history. Since then, they have continued to wow live audiences and fans with amazing hits.
- Oasis: One of the most popular bands of the '90s, Oasis seemingly appeared out of nowhere in 1994. Shooting up the charts like a rocket, this Manchester quartet styled themselves after a mix of the Who, the Rolling Stones and seemed to have been influenced by bands like the Beatles, T-Rex and weren't above reworking Wham! songs, making them their own. Their popular ballad "Live Forever" made them a household name.
- Radiohead: Radiohead stormed onto the scene in 1993, releasing their debut album "Pablo Honey." Unexpectedly, their haunted and angsty "Creep" became an almost instant international hit. Interesting to note is the band allowed fans to pay whatever they wished to pay for their 2007 album "In Rainbows," bypassing record labels and allowing fans to download the online files in zip format.
- Pulp: If you recall the quirky 1995 hit "Common People," chances are you're familiar with the great English indie band, Pulp. Jarvis Cocker was only 15 when he started the band in 1978 and, during the '80s, they remained fairly obscure. After numerous changes and alterations, however, they would stick it out to become one of the most popular English indie bands of the '90s.
- The Verve: Best known for their smash hit "Bittersweet Symphony," The Verve's rise to their place as one of the top British indie bands was a tumultuous trip. Plagued by everything from narcotics to lawsuits, their struggle finally ended in a breakup in 1999. To date, they still remain one of the most popular English indie bands of all time.
- The Maccabees: Emerging in 2005, the five members of the Maccabees hailed from South London, where lead singer Orlando Weeks and drummer Robert Dylan Thomas went to school together. Following their first single, "X-Ray," the band was given the chance to open for Arctic Monkeys, launching them into the spotlight.
- Zombina and the Skeletones: For fans of English indie bands who like something a little different, Zombina and the Skeletones is a must-have for any self-respecting punk or psychobilly fan. Mixing classic rock n' roll sounds with hilarious lyrics and a great stage presence, they're a little off beat, but catchy. Get a listen of "Vincent Price" and you'll laugh for days.
- Bloc Party: Bloc Party entered the limelight when enterprising singer/guitarist Kele Okereke sent a copy of the band's demo to popular performer Franz Ferdinand. Shortly thereafter, Bloc Party released "She's Hearing Voices" and continued to gain popularity from there. One of the top English indie bands of 2005, their sound is inspired by the Cure, Sonic Youth and fellow indies, Joy Division.
- Joy Division: Speaking of which, we can't have a list of the top English indie bands and not include the amazing Joy Division. Founded in 1977, they were one of the most influential bands of the '80s and left their mark on music today. Sadly, the lead singer of the band committed suicide in 1980 but the other members went on to form popular band, New Order. Joy Division's hit "Love Will Tear Us Apart" remains a popular song even decades later.
- Muse: Most fans of English indie bands have the band Muse on their list of popular favorites. With rocking hits like "Uprising" and "Supermassive Black Hole," the trio's mixture of glam rock, electronica and experimental indie rock create an infectious sound that few can ignore.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.