Some are single, some are married, some are looking; whatever their status, these are the top ten German billionaires in the world today.
- Karl Albrecht. He's 87 years old with an estimated net worth of $20 billion and he is Germany's richest man. He is the owner and CEO of discount supermarket giant Aldi which has over 7,000 stores and grosses over $49 billion in sales annually.
- Theo Albrecht. At the number two spot is little brother Theo. He's 84 with an estimated net worth of $17.5 billion. While Karl has retired and is very private leaving little of his personal life for others, Theo did allow the world to know a little about him until he was kidnapped in 1971. After that, he has remained somewhat of a recluse. He has two sons and still remains a part of the Aldi life.
- Michael Otto. Michael Otto, age 63, shares his wealth and limelight with his family. He has a net worth of $13.3 billion and is the third richest in Germany. The Otto family own the largest and most profitable mail order company in Germany "Otto GmbH."
- Adolf Merckle at age 72 has a net worth of $12.8 billion. As heir to his grandfather's chemical wholesale company, he moved in and developed the company into one of the largest pharmaceuticals grossing $26 billion in sales yearly.
- Susanne Klatten, age 44, not only is the youngest, but the first female on the list. She has an impressive net worth of $9.6 billion. She inherited her wealth from her late father Herbert Quandt through his share of the luxury auto maker BMW along with a share of the Atlana Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals company.
- Reinhold Wurth at 71, he has a net worth of $9 billion making him number six on the list of wealthiest Germans. His billions were made when he took over the business of making screws from his father's company "The Wurth Group."
- Stefan Quandt at age 41 was one of the world's most eligible bachelors. But that changed recently. He is estimated at having a net worth of $7.6 billion. He made his billions owning a percentage of luxury auto maker BMW along with owning and managing Delton AG. He also is an engineer.
- Johanna Quandt. It sometimes stays in the family. Johanna, 80 year old mother of Stefan, has a net worth of $6.7 billion. She owns seventeen percent of BMW and lives in Bad Homburg near Frankfurt.
- Ervian Haub at age 74, has an estimated net worth of $6 billion. He shares his wealth with his family. They are known as Haub, Ervian & Family, owners of Tengelman Group, a food retailer.
- Hasso Plattner co-founder of German's software giant SAP. He is 63 years old and has a net worth of $6 billion. He was the CEO of SAP for 30 years before retiring in 2003. He has other investment ventures. He now enjoys his retirement skiing, golfing and playing tennis.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …