Top 10 Indie Band Names
To honor Indie bands from around the world, here is a list of the top 10 Indie band names (in no particular order). Indie bands aren't just known for their original sound -- they are also famous, sometimes more so, for their original names.
- Modest Mouse - American Indie rock band formed in 1993 in Issaquah, Washington. Two of their bigger hits are "Float On" and "Dashboard."
- Franz Ferdinand - Indie rock band originating from Glasgow, Scotland. Most commonly known song is called "Take Me Out."
- Radiohead - English alternative rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire. They have enjoyed some success through the years, but their most popular song is "Creep" from 1992.
- DeVotchKa - The name comes from Clockwork Orange. The band comes from Denver. Their sound is a fusion of bolero, Greek, Romani and Slavic. They are most noted as writing the score for the critically acclaimed move, Little Miss Sunshine.
- The The - Made the list for its simplicity. The band hails from England. It's most popular song is "This Is the Day."
- Great Lake Swimmers - Indie folk rock band from Ontario, Canada. Named after the feat of swimming across any of the great lakes.
- Placebo - This cool name is also rather popular. There are four different bands with the same name: a Canadian punk band, a Belgium jazz band, a British punk-rock duo and a more popular British rock band. The music styles are different, but they're all Indie.
- Broken Social Scene - Another Canadian band, the ensemble is large, sometimes numbering in the high teens. Their music has been featured in movies, and most notably on episodes of Nip/Tuck and the L Word.
- The Noise FM - A trio from Lawrence, Kansas. Their most recent LP release, "Enclave" is highly touted in the Midwest.
- Arcadia - this name is more popular than Placebo, our #7 entry. Bands ranging from Christian rock and pop, to the 80s band formed while Duran Duran was taking a break all sport this name. But any band that takes its name from the Greek kid that essentially caused the birth of the werewolf gets our vote!
Posted on: Nov. 10, 2010