If you're looking for a list of the top 10 indie band songs, you've definitely come to the right place. It's hard to define what makes a 'good' indie band, but indie music has certainly been leaving its mark throughout the decades. Taking a look at some of the best indie bands to raise their heads in the last 20 years, we've compiled a collection of top indie band songs that you won't want to miss. Get your iPod warmed up and give these songs a listen.
- "Radio Free Europe" by R.E.M.: Released in 1981, this was R.E.M.'s debut single, released on the independent label Hib-Tone. Featuring a catchy chorus amidst otherwise unintelligible lyrics, it was an instant hit amongst the college radio crowd. R.E.M. may not be considered indie any longer, but "Radio Free Europe" remains one of the best indie band songs of all time.
- "The Distance" by Cake: Cake released "The Distance" as the second single from their second album, "Fashion Nugget." A song about a washed-up rock star from the '80s, it turned out to be Cake's best-known single and is a long-standing favorite amongst fans of indie rock. Definitely one of the best indie band songs from the '90s.
- "If I Had $1,000,000" by Barenaked Ladies: Ever think of what you'd do with a million dollars? Barenaked Ladies came up with some great ideas in this top indie band song from 1991. "Haven't you always wanted a monkey?"
- "Where Is My Mind?" by The Pixies: Made popular by the 1999 movie "Fight Club," this song was actually released way back in 1988 on the band's "Surfer Rosa" album. Considered to be one of the best indie band songs of all time, it's been covered by talented artists like Placebo, James Blunt and Kings of Leon.
- "Loser" by Beck: The lyrics are nothing short of surreal, but that didn't stop Beck from making our list of the top indie band songs with his 1994 hit, "Loser." With brilliant lyrics like "With the plastic eyeballs, spray-paint the vegetables. Dog food skulls with the beefcake pantyhose," what's not to love? "Soy un perdidor," indeed.
- "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers: Composed in 2001, this catchy song about jealousy and an imagination running wild quickly appeared out of nowhere and rocketed up the charts. The Vegas-based band, The Killers, suddenly became a household name and "Mr. Brightside" earned its place amongst the top indie band songs of all time.
- "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes: Known for its pounding drum beat and hard-edged guitar, "Seven Nation Army" is a song that just demands that the listener stomp, head-bang, air-guitar or something. It's nearly impossible to listen to this top indie band song and not want to move. Give it a listen and see if the thumping doesn't get you going too.
- "Float On" by Modest Mouse: This song seemed to be everywhere when it was released in 2004. A positive and uplifting song, it assures the listener that, no matter what happens, it will all float on and all will be fine. This is definitely one of our more positive additions to the list of best indie band songs.
- "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie: If you're looking for one of the most touching indie band songs of all time, you'll definitely want to give Death Cab for Cutie a listen. "I Will Follow You Into the Dark," is a sad and yet strangely hopeful song.
- "Help I'm Alive" by Metric: The first single to come off Canadian rock group Metric's fourth album, "Fantasies," this song is an interesting mix of lead singer Emily Haines' gorgeous voice and some great pounding rock. While one of our simpler entries into the list of top indie band songs, it's impossible to deny this strangely catchy song its rightful due.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.